I Am Woman : Forum : Calling All Cooks!!!

Calling All Cooks!!!

16 Years Ago

What are your favorite dishes to eat and/or cook. If you don't cook, what is your favorite meal? What is your comfort food? I KNOW you got one...or two! Share some recipes here and new ideas for a old, tried and ture meal. Do you love to eat in or out? Let's get this thread cooking!

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

i love pasta - i love making linguine with garlic/oil sauce... sometimes i steam veggies and throw it in for a twist...
comfort food -- has got to be brownies - MMM with that damn duncan hines icing that is so addictive i end up eating all of it before it even gets onto the brownies

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I love to cook.

I personally love to make complicated things. Ones that you see on the Food Channel. I am very good at following a recipe. There are a couple recipes that I made out of my head that took me a few times to perfect. My beef strew for one and chili. I love making mashed potatoes. I find putting a bit of cream in them instead of milk makes a difference.

I also love to bake. Cookies, pies, cakes anything. The only thing I haven't made from scratch is cake but that is my next project. I told my boyfriend once we get more stable financially I was going to pick a day of the week where I bake and make a more fancy meal.

Comfort food-chocolate is always one. Ice cream is another.

Kate

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Personally, I was a fat kid growing up so I taught myself how to cook when I was 7 and the 1st thing I made was an experimental pizza!!! lol it was horrible but being that I was huge I ate it all anyway it had all my favorates on it cream cheese, peperoni, hamburger meat, sausage, anchovies, olives, peanut butter, eggs, chocolate, raisins, bananas, crakers, pretzels, pickles, fries, gummie worms, lol....I know it's sick but hey I was 7!!!

Now when I cook atleast I know there are somethings that go together and things that don't...but I still try to push the envlope as much as possible....it works better now then it did back then!

I really love to bake and everything I make is from scratch the box stuff isn't as good anymore....but still little debbie is still a fav ::biggrin:: ::biggrin::

~~Theta

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

lets see i love pasta.. and love to cook it..
i even go a little crazy on my alfrado sauce..
and i love BBQ.. give me anything and i will throw it up on it.. but i am not crazy about BBQ sauce..

comfort food... lets see anything Chocolate .. lol..

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I looove vegetables :p
Might sound weird these days, but it's true :)
As for dishes, i also like pasta, with sundried tomatoes, basil and dried ham, with a subtil herb sauce :)
And fish, i really like fish!
But anyway, i'm a tomato addict hehe :)
Everything mediterranian goes for me ;)
I was born in the wrong country lol :p

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I am addicted to anything that looks, tastes, or feels good.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Wanting More

Haha I love cooking up trouble!

My favorit comfort food is cappucino..I add Caribou coffee ice-cream to mine or vanilla health shakes of Dulce de Leche syrup, sometimes maple syrup :p

I love home baked macaroni n' cheese. And add some onion and cottage cheese--maybe some thick chunks of ham.

Oh yea--one more, honey cornbread!

I had Chinese buffet today, I am too sick to be tempted by all this food talk. I downed at least 4 plates :o

Have a Crunchy Munchy Day! Lynn

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

God where to start, where to start =P.

Comfort Foods: Hot chocolate, with (real) whipped cream (not from a can) , marshmallows, Flake and chocolate drops. (Thank GOD for a fast metabolism =P)

Fried Rice. I can eat that stuff until it hurts to move...and then still need another serving.

~

So yeah...I love making friend rice. I'm a poor starving uni student, so it's a sort of go-out-and-by-whatever-i-can-afford-put-it-in-a-wok-and-hope-it-works reciepe. But, I think that's the fun of cooking, trying, testing, failing more often than not, but occasionally coming up with something awesome.

However, one thing I do do all too frequently is chicken, BBQ and a few spices that smell nice (the spices always vary slightly, and pretty much anything works.) Marinade (woah suh an impressive sounding word...more impressive than it actually is...) the chicken in BBQ Sauce and spices, stick in frying pan with little bit of oil and cook. Keep in fridge and eat as neccesary. Pretty good mixed with stir-fried broccoli and carrots, some peas and sweetcorn, and then mixed together with pasta and a cream sauce.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I love to cook!

I will try to prepare almost anything. I just learned how to do Artichoke Frittatas.

I am into cooking Mediterranean food now. Lot's of pasta and homemade red sauces. I also love to make stir fry. Chinese food is my weakness. LOL I also make Shrimp Curry. Last month, I made Chicken Marsala, my bf loved it! I'm vegetarian, so I cook meats for him and veggies for me. Although I eat seafood. I make a mean fried catfish and red beans and rice. Oh yeah, I cook southern meals. I make cornbread from scratch. I make Louisiana favorites like Etouffee, Gumbo, Dirty Rice, Jambalaya, Black Eyed Peas, Succotash, greens, cabbage, potato salad (yellow kind), and crawfish boil. Sorry fellas, I'm taken. LOL

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

i'll get back to you on this topic tomorrow :) got some interesting recipes :)

i'll leave ya with a quick on for Scallops. not for the weight conscious but damn is it yummy :)

grab a couple pounds of scallops, bay or sea, doesn't matter so go we the type you prefer. you'll need about 20 to 40 Ritz crackers, 2 to 3 teaspoons of crushed garlic, stick and a half of butter, one lemon.

set your oven to 325F

rinse off scallops and toss in bowl to the side

melt butter slowly, so not to burn, mix in garlic

take Ritz crackers either in a bowl or ziploc bag and crush

now toss rinsed scallops into the crushed Ritz crackers. mix lightly. then place mixture in casserole dish.

pour a little melted butter/garlic mixture over scallops and Ritz crackers mixture. toss to coat evenly as possible, repeat till all the melted butter/garlic is mixed in.

squeeze lemon over mixture or wait till after cooked to use lemon, your choice.

place in preheated oven for about 30 to 40 mins

not a cheap meal due to price of scallops, but yummy :)

faerie blessings...

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

When I can afford scallops, I will try this and let you know how it came out. It certainly does sound yummy!

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

My mum taught me to cook as did my grandmother and being half Greek ... well you can imagine the kind of food that ends up coming out of my kitchen. I was bought up in England and havn't got the first clue how to cook spag bol or rice pudding or anything simple ... but I can make you a three course Med or Middle Eastern meal hehe

My fave has to be roast lamb though and Jamie Oliver (I was so gutted when he got married!!) has an amazing recipie for putting anchovies into holes (which i usually fill with garlic) in the lamb .... sounds really gross but is actually amazing and as long as you don't tell people what it is everyone likes it hehe

As for comfort food ... that has to be my grandmothers avgolemono (egg and lemon soup) again that sounds really gross but it is a step up from chicken soup when you feel like crap (and living in England with the rain it makes all things better hehe)

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Kim

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I HATE to cook!!  I would rather do the dishes then cook!  I have some good recipes and dishes that my kids like, I just hate doing it.  Love italian dishes and vegi's.

Best comfort food...........nothing better then grilled cheese and tomato soup! 

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I am a big baker. I love decorating cakes and pastries, and I love making everything from scratch. The richer the better. My favorite recipe has got to be one I made myself for choc. oatmeal cookies, they are super rich and gooey and just plain great. Like most southern women I also have one of those family dishes handed down over generations. Mine is for sweet potatoe pie, and it is a family rule that it is only to be made on holidays. As far as cooking goes I work long hours so anything you can put in a crock pot is awesome to me. My comfort food is kinda strange, I call it potatoe water. I grew up in my grandmother's house, and she was one of those southern cooks that thinks every meal needs mashed potatoes. Whenever the potatoes would be finished boiling she would drain off alittle of the broth, put butter and salt in it and a teaspoon of the potatoes after she mashed them and give it to me in a mug as a special treat. So now whenever I miss her or am homesick or just upset in general I have to make mashed potatoes just to get the water, haha.