Internet Access: The Writer's Tools To Being Read. : Forum : The irony of democratic publis..

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Al
[reply] [quote]

The irony of democratic publishing

16 Years Ago

[color=indigo][/color]I think that it's great that anyone can upload a work of writing, whether it be a novel, a poem, a work of non-fiction, and so on. I have submitted work to publishers that has been published; I've been asked to conduct interviews which have been published; I've submitted novels which have been rejected; I've 'uploaded' fiction on sites with no requirements other than a computer and on-line access. I've also been a fiction and non-fiction editor of a 'zine.'

Dustin Hoffman once said there were so many acting classes because actors did not have a chance to actually act in a play/film for which they auditioned. The same may be said of writing classes, and the same may be said for uploading work without a 'gatekeeper.' The latter is fine. But to 'advance' as a writer, I think one needs to submit one's work to someone who is a bit more knowledgeable about writing than oneself. Otherwise, how can you grow as a writer? And this strategy is exactly what happens when a person who is 'new' at writing submits a work to a publication that is selective. It's not that relevant whether a person likes or doesn't like your 'style' or 'subject matter.' So long as s/he knows writing, one can get helpful feedback. And as for the remark, "Why should I think an editor 'knows' writing if s/he didn't want to publish my work," I'd say that that remark can very likely be a cop out.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

You have a point, that work should be approved by peers before publishing, but if Shakespeare saw what passes for poetry with this so called free verse, I think he'd never have bothered to have written a word!

Chances are, hed never have been published if he were around today!
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Democratic publishing... in short everyone has opinions very few people know the truth and even fewer can write it. Writing is an art and in its nature elitist, not everyone should be published even though they 'can be.'