Lonely Writers Blog Group : Forum : Random ethics question from my..

Random ethics question from my pea brain

16 Years Ago

So this morning while barely awake and stumbling through my predawn spawn wrangling ritual I had this massive inspiration for an epic Sci FI novel. Unfortunately - I also have a full day at the office looming and the usual mommydo's to round out my 'evening' leaving a girl with little time to breathe let alone pen the next great trilogy. So I'm sitting here at my day job in corporate purgatory wondering what would happen if I just tapped out a few pages? And of course the old conscience says "IF THOU DOEST THY NOVEL WILL RESIDE IN HELL, NEVER TO BE PUBLISHED. BWHA HA HA.

So here's my question. How many of you in your down time at your desk job frequent the cafe and does your inner warden speak against it or do you see it as ok?

Just curious.

Oh and CMV sent out the lonely call so I felt prompted to come visit.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

ethical-shmethical.

The real problem is that it's your boss's computer and he or his IT team can see every website you visit, read every e-mail received or sent, scan your hard-drive for any contraband, and can even record your every keystroke. That last one is so you don't write a letter, print it, and erase it. The boss will still see it.  I was in management before I retired and I know whereof I speak.

So, don't. Period.

If you have a lot of downtime and the boss doesn't care what you do with it, bring in a laptop (I bought a used one for a hundred dollars) and write your trilogy on that. Be sure to take it home every day or the IT guy will snoop. (They can't help it. It's a genetic flaw. That's why they're IT guys.)

Be well,

Surly and Old

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Bah. Stick it to the man.

I write when I should be doing my homework, if that counts. College/military/athletics take up enough time without a hobby like novelling. But yes, I'm working on plot outlines, character sketches, and occassionally full chapters in math classes. Can't help myself.

The real ethical question is, if you've got potentially *the* greatest book ever written all thought-out in your mind (which is impossible in your case -- *I* have the best book ever), do you have a responsibility to write it? How does that responsibility compare to your work duties? Hmm....

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

How does her responsibility to write the world's best effing novel compare to keeping her job and feeding her family?

If she's the next J. K. Rowling, it might work.

Then again, probably not -- not insult intended.

S & O

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

This is the way I see it:

-If I'm at a job where I have absolutely nothing else to do, then, yeah, it's okay to tap out a few pages or write down a few lines or plot elements, etc.

-If I'm at a job that's easy enough to where I can multitask, then I might peek at WC.

However...

-If it starts to affect my work (quality, quantity, etc.), then I know it's not the time to goof off. Some companies have explicit policies about using their property (i.e., their computers), and some add the fact that anything made/typed, etc. on their equipment becomes the sole property of the company. They usually make you sign consent forms acknowledging this.

So if you know for a fact that when you leave the company, they won't go digging for dirt on the hard drive, write away. But if you feel like that's something they just might do as a final "F. U.," then I'd stick to writing it down in a personal notebook that you bought...etc.

Sorry- used to work for attorneys and considered law school....

:)

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Well s**t, I am totally screwed.

I write ALL the time. My job is boring and I usually get all of my work done and everyone else's quickly so I am on here and I write quite a bit.

The "I.T."  guy and I used to be the best of friends, but he turned out to be a real jerk off so we don't speak anymore. In fact, as far as I'm concerned he is invisible.

So, if he is reading this and so are my bosses? You all suck. This job sucks! You're all a bunch of chauvenistic shitheads.

I spelled chauvenistic wrong didn't I?

Surly & Old, don't go crappin an egg on me for that now ok?  ;)

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

A syncopated roar emanated from deep within his innermost being. A sound he'd not heard in a year of Sundays. A Belly Laugh.

ROTFLMAO,

Surly and Old

Yes, you did spell chauvinistic wrong. So effing what?

By the way, That's a rooster...

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

LOL S&O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Does it really matter?

Chances are, you are already feeding "I don't want to be here" vibes to everyone you know to a point where they don't want to be there either. Also, you could also be sending "take your job and shove it" vibe or "{Insert words here} {insert boss name or enemies}" vibe.
  This should practically speak for you. Having evidence that you write really just reflects that "you want success like the rest of us". Who doesn't want to make money?
It also says "I am not wasting my time" too. This way you aren't feeding the employees subliminal messages "to take a hike off a roof" or reproachful glances.

... As for me, I am never around computers when at work. Sucks to be working in a cafetaria for short periods of time.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Originally posted by Tl Boehm (jus' Tammy)

So this morning while barely awake and stumbling through my predawn spawn wrangling ritual I had this massive inspiration for an epic Sci FI novel. Unfortunately - I also have a full day at the office looming and the usual mommydo's to round out my 'evening' leaving a girl with little time to breathe let alone pen the next great trilogy. So I'm sitting here at my day job in corporate purgatory wondering what would happen if I just tapped out a few pages? And of course the old conscience says "IF THOU DOEST THY NOVEL WILL RESIDE IN HELL, NEVER TO BE PUBLISHED. BWHA HA HA.

So here's my question. How many of you in your down time at your desk job frequent the cafe and does your inner warden speak against it or do you see it as ok?

Just curious.

Oh and CMV sent out the lonely call so I felt prompted to come visit.

"Massive inspiration?"

When I woke up, I remember nearly getting killed by being stapled! I was starting to feel tacky. Maybe pinned down. Maybe it says something.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Originally posted by C.m.v.

Well s**t, I am totally screwed.

I write ALL the time. My job is boring and I usually get all of my work done and everyone else's quickly so I am on here and I write quite a bit.

The "I.T."  guy and I used to be the best of friends, but he turned out to be a real jerk off so we don't speak anymore. In fact, as far as I'm concerned he is invisible.

So, if he is reading this and so are my bosses? You all suck. This job sucks! You're all a bunch of chauvenistic shitheads.

I spelled chauvenistic wrong didn't I?

Surly & Old, don't go crappin an egg on me for that now ok?  ;)

LOL, I love it , hehehehehehe.  Nothing else to add really.  XX