Lucas and Morgan: The Epic Continues : Forum : Meeting

Down to Business

10 Years Ago

The booths were large, plush, curving ovals that allowed all of his associates to gather around him. I sat on the chair opposite the table, and a waiter deftly brought my O positive atop a napkin. I gripped the glass but did not sip from it. This group was suspicious, and I already didn’t trust my drink. “Interesting friend you had there. Where did he run off to?” he inquired, his squat form staring at me without humor. “Oh, he’s around.” I replied. “He wanted to be free to look about the place.” He took my bluffed hint that my demonic friend was out hunting any of his stragglers in the crowd. I kept my poker face on, a shadow of smile hiding under my fascinator. “Shall we discuss business?” I batted my eyes, but his large gloomy presence didn't seem moved. “I am curious…. Why didn’t Cortez make the cut for your little movies?” Well, that surprised me. “I didn’t realize that was an interest of yours.” “I’m just amused that you decided he didn’t make the cut.” “All the better for you.” “Ah, yes, not many make it out of the studio. We could’ve spared him.” “No one makes it out of the studio, that’s the point. My question is why do you care what I do?” I narrowed my eyes at him, hoping to see something more than what I’d first glanced. “Because you love destruction, Madame Black, and I admire that.” The corner of his mouth turned up, and I could almost swear I saw a bit of steam edge out of his collar. “I appreciate that, Mr. Darkholme,” I took my drink, and began to rise from my seat, “but I’m afraid that is my business. If you wish to share in my industry, then my brand of Bloodshine, along with my other less-publicized goods, are at your service. However I’m afraid my movies are a hobby, not a market.” He sighed, leaning back in the booth. “Perhaps one day you’ll be more interested in that money.” My heart fluttered a little. Even after all these years, even after I had more money than I could ever want, an opportunity still arose the greed in me. The Bloodshine wasn’t about the pay flow anymore, but the adventure of all the sins Prohibition had allowed by banning. Yet I still demanded my prices out of that simple, strong greed. “I have more than enough money. The movies aren’t about cash, they are about quality, and my enjoyment, really. I would need to be tempted by more than money.” “We will find you when there is something, Madame Blacke.” “Until then.” I bowed my head in goodbye, and turned away from the table. Immediately in front of me was the biggest creature I had seen in the flesh. He was the kind of man that would've had to been brought in through the back door, he was so obviously threatening. “What is this, Mr. Darkholme?” I asked of the man behind me. “This is an incentive, Madame Black. Oh, and I’m not Mr. Darkholme.” I could almost feel him smiling at the back of my head. I could take him. But it was going to hurt.