Lyricists : Forum : Sup...

[reply] [quote]

Sup...

14 Years Ago

=) Hey all....just wanted to officially say welcome to the group! 

Okay, so here's a little about what I'm hopin to get goin for this group. I want to create a very much needed space for lyricists. Sure, lyrics are close to poems, but someone ^.^ pointed out that people just aren't quite sure how to review lyrics if you're not a song writer. (I think I got that one right!) So I wanted to get a group of us together to give some raw, hard-core in-depth advice, reviews, and criticism on lyrics that I think MOST of us want and totally need--if you're like me, haha!

So I'm curious about what bands influence ya'll the most?? What type of music are you most interested in? Do you sing? Do you play any instruments? Are ya in a band? Or are you like me, where dogs' heads start turning and they give you this funny look when you sing, and you're so musically untalented that it's almost comical but....totally not....so you're stuck in a position that all you can do is write and hope other people can create the melody that you already hear in your head???

[reply] [quote]

Re: Sup...

14 Years Ago

Okay I'm gonna try this again lol and actually these some detail. I'm interested in every type of music but my favorite is rock and rap. The bands that influences me the most is red hot chili peppers and guns and roses. My favorite rap artist is Tupac, don't really care for his image, but the emotion he expresses in his lyrics and poetry. I don't sing, or play any instruments, I just enjoy writing and working with other people.
[reply] [quote]

14 Years Ago

I already had a group for lyricists, but I don't suppose it does any harm to be in two. In an attempt to actually answer the questions you posed, let's see.

I wouldn't say any bands influence my writing, actually. I can't really see my music being played by anybody I listen to (a long list) or know of (a longer list). As for the music I'm interested in, it's pretty much anything that's not at the extremes. I don't like thrash/death metal (Maiden is good, Slayer not so much) or any music where the singer growls/screams/talks instead of singing. I'm also not a huge fan of anything really country, but I can listen to it. Aside from that, I'm kind of all over the board, so I'll just list my five favourite bands in order for you and you can make of that what you like.

Evanescence, Rise Against, Trapt, Backstreet Boys, Meat Loaf

I do sing, and I play piano, if rather ineptly. I have put music to exactly one of my songs, and it's not bad, but writing music is HARD. Anyway, I'm not in a band, though I'll be performing (as a vocalist) at my old high school for a concert there later this year. I get very differed opinions on my singing; some people like it, some people ask me to stop.

That's about all you really need to know. I love music and if you've read what could laughably be called a blog of mine on here, you know I've written something in the neighbourhood of 80 songs already. Don't be afraid to run an idea by me and I'll review any song you like.

EDIT: Not sure how I managed to forget this, but I also HATE HATE HATE rap. Just don't come anywhere near me with that garbage.
[reply] [quote]

14 Years Ago

I'm most interested in folk/rock and indie folk.  I listen to a lot of music from the 1960's and a lot of indie folk from today.  I'm most influenced by indie folk/rock artists like Andrew Bird, Laura Marling, Laura Veirs, and Bon Iver.  

I am able to sing, and I do, but if I were to ever form a band, I'd get someone else to sing instead.  I've been playing guitar for a few years.  When I'm writing music, the instrumental part always comes before the lyrics.  I'd get the guitar part done and be playing that for weeks before the words come together.  All of my lyrics have music to them already, and I include a link to a recording with every song I post here.  I've found that ultimate-guitar.com is a good place to upload audio files, but if someone has found another site for this, I'd like to hear about it.
[reply] [quote]

14 Years Ago

OFF THE TOP ... lyrically speaking & musically also ... Joni Mitchell, Tom Waits, Beatles, Stones, Sheryl Crowe, The Pretenders .... ah ... Sondheim, There's more ... I do sing on occassion.. I'm part time member of the Madd Dogs(R&R plus) & in flux band called Rednite Trio (standards, jazzy).. I play bit of piano, guitar, cello, percussion..  And most definitely sing in the shower. Melodically, I'm unnverved by it. Lyrics come easy .. Melodies don't but I'm working on it. 
LeeLee

[reply] [quote]

14 Years Ago

^.^ Awesome... So we sound like a very well-rounded group, to say in the least. As far as my type of music, I suppose I'd be more into writing rock. I find now that I'm getting more in-depth with writing my lyrics and now writing them with an actual band who's giving me tracks to practice with...it's HARD. It's easy to sit down and come up with my OWN melody in my head and mesh the words with the music together there, but when trying to do it with someone else, I find myself pounding my head against the wall and asking myself WTF is wrong with my brain cells today, haha! Of course, they're more of a "SKA" band (whatever the hell that is), which is so totally not my style, so that COULD be where I'm running into issues....but who knows.

So okay guys, I need some help here! I know hook lines are way super important to songs, and that part I'm fine with, it's just .... getting the words to fit with the music that I'm finding I'm not so great at. I feel like I should be counting steps with the music, almost like a metronome, and then matching syllables with that beat/count or whatever you'd call it, or is that totally wrong??? Am I way off?

ANY advice would be great!! I haven't been writing lyrics that long, but I love it way more than I loved writing romance novels or poems. I feel kind of blown-out with all that other stuff, you know?? I need a break, and I think this is a great way to step back and do something else for a while, yet keep those creative juices flowing!!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
OTL
[reply] [quote]

14 Years Ago

I primarily write poetry, but i have written a song or two and thought it would be a good idea to join a group for it since the people in poetry groups like you said don't understand songs as well. I wouldn't say any particular bands influence me, more like all the music I listen to at some point or another has an influence. I'm just hoping to get some input/advice/critics on my songs and hope you all are willing to help. So far I've posted one Love song-ish song and one lullaby. feel free to be honest, but please if you dislike something, have something to back it up and help me better myself, dont just bash my stuff. Thanks