Novelist's Desk : Forum : Where do you get your ideas?

[reply] [quote]

Where do you get your ideas?

15 Years Ago

I hear this question from new and aspiring writers all the time. The fear is that there is some magic that seperates the creative people from the unimaginative. Please, they seem to beg, tell me there is some procedure I can follow to come up with enough ideas for a book.

Maybe. Robert Heilein famously said that he just went to the classics and filed off the serial numbers. So put, "I steal them." on the list.

There is a book called Plots Unlimited by the guys that used to write Columbo, Murder She Wrote and other TV mysteries. Add, "I have a list."

Dick Francis writes takes things that happened during his career as a jockey and embellished a little. So there's, "I've led an interesting life."

On another site, Novelist's Desk member, Cloister listed the origins of a few of his novels. That made me think that it might be fun to hear from everyone about where they got their favorite ideas.

For me -

My novel Dark Horses came from an idea that occurred to me when my daughter started horseback riding. After a ride, I was helping her untack and clean the horse. We led the horse back to its stall, slid the door closed and fastened the latch. A rush of Deja Vu hit me. The stall reminded me of a jail cell. It was about the same size, the occupant can't let themself out, they have to come out on someone else's schedule, and they have to poop and pee in the stall/cell. The episode got me thinking about how inmates would feel about having horses in the same facility. Before long, I had a few characters and a story formed.

Your turn -

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

The best story ideas all derive from the same question... some of us just forget we asked it when the inspiration hit us.

"What if?"

What if a little girl found herself in a wierd land chased by an evil witch?  Wizard of Oz

What if a young man could develop special powers and use them to bring an evil empire to its knees?  Star Wars: A New Hope

What if a town was infested by vampires?  Salem's Lot

Once you answer the first what if, you must then ask "What then?" and from there decide where you might be headed.

Sounds overly simplified - and it is. If it were that easy, no one would suffer from writer's block, but there is a means of thinking that does help.

As an example, here was the 'What if?' that brought me to my latest novel (part of which is already posted here) and the story that explains how it came to me.

I was watching the discover channel and they were talking about aliens visiting Earth. They argued against a terrestrial visit, stating the vast steller distances would mean only probes could ever visit, so we should be looking for alien probes in the sky - not aliens themselves.

That got me thinking ... What if WE sent probes to an alien world.

That didn't stick. Who wants to read about probes doing it when we want to go there ourselves.

What if WE went to an alien world?

Still no story - been done thousands of times.

What if WE went to an alien world as probes?

Too goofy... or is it? Implant the consciousness into a machine and sent it eleven light years away... almost sounds enticing, but what then?

I knew I would want to meet aliens... so then they meet aliens.

Wahoo!

So, where is this all heading? Well... I know we need conflict to make a good story so I decide the machines will get there and decide to become human again - taking the bodies of the aliens as their own.

Better yet... not everyone is aware of the plan until they get there, causing a morality struggle.

That should get me 30,000 words... needs more... Aha! the aliens have plans for us as well! Now THAT is complexity.

So, what role will our hero play? We want him to be a good guy, so he will do what he can to stop all these evil plans and to do so he'll need friends.

Better yet, let's make his friends the aliens - and how do we do that - we separate him from the others... kinda... we let him get captured!

Now we have a plot forming, but it needs more. We need to see the human (literally) side of the story, and we give our hero a wife who thinks like her husband and tries to work with the humans to solve the problem. 

We now have two stories in one, and we can branch out from there as needed.

As you can see, a small "What if" that sounded goofy grew into a full-fledged novel, and is the premise behind a novel I just completed.

So, my advice is to constantly twist in your mind the things you see and ask "What if". If the "What if" sticks, start writing about it and keep going until you hit the end - odds are good you have found yourself a winner if you find yourself judging sleep and food as an impediment to your writing. :)

I also recommend dreaming about your stories at night. Some of my greatest inspirations have arrived in dreams. It's the best breaker of writer's block I have found to date. :)
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

My ideas come from all the movies I've watched and all the books I've read in my life. No, I don't plegerize. All these ideas and scenes that I've witnessed seem to coagulate in the back of my mind and surface when I least expect them.

My book Crimson Dust was inspired by a documentary I watched on the Discovery Channel called Mars Rising, but everything in between, everything after the basic structure wasn't planned. I had no clue as to where the story was going untill chapter thirteen, the chapter before the end chapter.

Of course at times I knew what I was writing but 73% of the book was the first thought that came to my mind, giving my book a pandemonious edge.

There were times when I wrote something I planned and quite literally the story kicked my idea out the window and came up with something completely different. As they say, the book took on a life of its own.

Other than complete instinct when writing a book or forming an idea I do what yoshi has already stated, "What if"? When I sit and actually think of an idea for a book I scrutinize the idea until I can be completely sure of its realism. Sure I wrote about a colony on Mars with all this crazy stuff happening, mutants, parasites, alien organisms, but I didn't shun realism, I created realistic monsters and situations. I looked at Crimson Dust and said "This is possible but improbable." I do seriously doubt theres a gigantic plant that spews bacteria that then seeks out a host to incubate into a parasite that then sucks the marrow from your spine as nourishment is there on Mars, but hey, who knows right?

Coming up with an idea is really very simple for me, just look at things and say, "Whoa, what if that did this and this did that and what if this happened here and that happened there," imagination is key to creating a great plot. Just look at everything disregarding any and all preconceptions and go with it.

I always say, "Complicated things are good, but simple things are better."

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

My ideas come from a vast variety of sources. Sometimes it under pressure, like a school assignment with limitations, and sometimes it will just come into my head. Though when I have writers block I have times where I'll write about a something in my own life, then tweak it to my liking. It almost always leaves me with a good story.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Everywhere. Songs on the radio--I'm actually working out the plotline for a paranormal romance inspired by a favorite song, conversations I've evasdropped on, people I know. One of the best ways I've found ideas is to do writing exercises in character development or setting. You can make these up or peruse the contest page to see what is being offered. The novel I have out for publication now is something that grew out of a writing exercise. And the fantasy trilogy I'm doing is the growth of a short story...I know. I can't quite figure out when I should write 'The End'

Sometimes, I like names and I'll create a story just to use a name. Good example is the series of short stories I have being published in an online magazine (The series is "The Four Kingdoms") over the next five months.

So...everything can be inspiration.

N~

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Many writers find it difficult to write 'The End', not because they are incapable, but because they enjoy their stories too much to say goodbye.

"The End" stands at the same point for all good stories. It's that moment where the hero finally faces down his villain (be it a person, thing, or situation) armed with the tools to resolve it and finally believes it can be done (the epiphany). Now, not all heroes succeed - that's why we have tragedies... Romeo and Juliet comes to mind. Prior to and during this scene, the author is tying up all the loose threads and when the final scene ends there is a short moment where the hero finally gets expound his thoughts and/or feelings about the final conflict (unless he dies) and then the story should end.

All good stories must end - lest they never become finished, languishing on pages in wait of a better day.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I get them from my head. Nothing else. My imagination has been bred and built for the sole purpose of writing..anything, which I fully intend to do. My intentions for my imagination is to get it to people who need the inspiration, or just love to read. New ideas come to me everyday. Sometimes some thing so wacko turns into a masterpiece.

Herotix is a prime example of my growing imagination and innovation, somewhat. I have yet to write more on that book though. :P

But that's how I get them. My head. Nothing else. :D :D

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

My ideas derive from all sorts of sources, I can't say that I use them based on my own experiences, because I've never been hunted down by an angry husband - I've never been married either.  Though some of my works have been completely based on some aspect of my life, friendship, love etc. But not my horror stories (like "Circumstance")

Sometimes, I'll be talking with a friend, and they'll say something interesting, it could be anything from a word, to an actual sentence. A lot of my stories have begun there, in a simple conversation. Someone mentions their going on a trip, travelling by train - and I wonder, what would happen if someone on that train was carrying a bomb. Or what if the man in the last row hitting on the snack women was hiding a pistol in his green carry-on bag. Those are my Horror stories, the novels I write to scare people, to amuse them, to frighten them.

Where as, my less fictional novels/stories, like "When Molly Smiles" or "I know Exactly what you mean" Started out as a basic idea for an english project.

I think, that asking an author where they get their ideas is obsurd. You can't disect the power of thoughts, words, situations, colours, and pictures - into a "How To" guide for beginners. Ideas just.. Happen.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Actually, the better guide would be 'how to transform the ideas you get into stories'. :)
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

True. OR "How to use your imagination for dummies"
I'm kidding, sort of. Everyone has an imagination, most people just don't know how to use it, where as Writer's do. We thrive on our imagination - and Coffee. Or at least I do. Coffee and trying to imagine a finished copy of one of my novel's. Maybe a better How to guide would be "How to get off your arse and finish that novel you started 3 years ago". :)
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

My ideas tend to come about rather randomly, and very sporadically, much to my fan's chagrin. But I have a pretty funny story regarding one of my better pieces.

I was flipping around on television, and happened to catch the tail-end of Disney's Hercules... Somehow, this inspired me to write something completely unrelated - the tale of a girl locked away on death row for killing her father.

When I finally finished, I was freaking out with laughter.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

My best writing ideas come to me randomly. I'll look at something, hear something, think something and suddenly I have an idea.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

My poetry comes from my life. My short stories always come from my dreams. I have strange vivid dreams. I keep a notebook by my bed,when I first wake up I try to write the dream down.

Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5