Novelist's Desk : Forum : Style of writing [ Stories / B..

[reply] [quote]

Style of writing [ Stories / Books ]

15 Years Ago

I've had several mixed reviews on my writing style from several sources. Some say they enjoy it, others say it's very clinical [what you see is what you get] others say it's passive. I write in the third person past tense. What style do you write in and why do you write in it?

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I write in whatever tense and point-of-view (person) I think will least hinder the story. Some stories just cover such a broad sense of ideas and are filled with such a lacished world that writing in first person would just make it confusing, over-bearing, and a bit God-like in the knowledge of the character. I think each tense/pov has it's faults though. Third person doesn't capture the protagonist's emotions as well as first first gets too repetitive and lacks in broad picture, present tense sounds a bit insane at times, but it's easy to skip from past to present.

I think it's all just part of being a good writer, being able to delve a bit into each but separate them when you are writing a novel :)

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I can honestly say I don't have a specific style other than a darker writing with a touch of dark humour.

When I start a project I typically don't have a thought in my head other than the immediate words I'm typing with my fingers. I do things instinctively and this has yet to fail me.

I don't adhere to first person or third person although I do prefer first person past tense.

I typically write things in an enigmatic way using idiosyncracies in my characters personalities, but suspense, thrill and several different techniques seem to find their way into my writing making what I write diverse and chaotic but organized in the sense of keeping on target and sticking to the current plot.

I don't expect many people to write like I do so I'm sure this won't be the most helpful explanation but this is how I do things and it comes out wonderfully.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

To be honest, I'm pretty one-dimensional, I write mostly in First person, I think it's the easiest way to express the emotions in a novel, a character's thoughts, their actions and why they do them etc. I also use third person/third person omniscient occasionally.

Basically, it depends on the story I'm writing. If I feel the story would be better understood or relatable - I use first person to describe things through one character's eyes because it's relevent to the story. Where as i use Third person when I'm more focused on setting or more then one action happening at once, etc. Like in my story "Circumstance" It wouldn't have been the same if I had used first person.

All in all.. It depends.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I had never written in first person until I joined this site. Aften then I sort of ran off with it and since everything is in first person. I like the fact that readers can look into the protagonist's head and it's everyone else is a mystery. As if the reader IS the protagonist. It gives you someone to relate to and makes it easier. However, I had always thought First person was harder than all other styles.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I write in first person or thrid person, depending on how much I want to focus the story on the main character or the plot itself. If it's a deeply emotional piece I go first person, and if it's an active piece I go third person.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Originally posted by Jeshin

I've had several mixed reviews on my writing style from several sources. Some say they enjoy it, others say it's very clinical [what you see is what you get] others say it's passive. I write in the third person past tense. What style do you write in and why do you write in it?

Me? I prefer first-person present, but that's mostly because I write action and it adds to the immediacy of the situation. I got quite a few complaints about switching tenses, though. But most don't seem to realise that I'm doing it on purpose.

I've been meaning to do third person again, though. it's what I started with, and what I plan on going back to one day.

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5