Opinion Magazine (Poetry Club) : Forum : Has Anyone Seen My Mother?

[reply] [quote]

Has Anyone Seen My Mother?

17 Years Ago

I was driving North on I-15 to Weber State University while I heard a speaker on the radio tell a story of a poster made by a kindergarden girl about her mother. "Has anyone seen my mother?" I switched lanes to the extreme right to hear the entire story, which was familiar. The girl's parents had been moved away because they presumably were in the USA illegally. You know, when I heard this, I forgot about all the legal ramifications involved in the situation. I thought about this little girl who knows no law, but her mother. Where is the little girl's mother? Where is the little boy's mother? How do we do this to people whom we expect to lead future generations with sound minds and good hearts? Where are we?
Allow me to go off on a tangent here into the Basotho customs and traditions that are so much part of who I am. In this culture, children look up to adults as role models. Adults are to them like gods, like saviours. In this culture we do not have orphanages because there, there are no families. When parents members die, a child is adopted into a family. Even though I am looking at a situation in the United States thruugh the Basotho lens, most would agree that broken family ties have been linked to youth delinquency, for example. Without getting too entangled in theoretical debates,my proposition is much in alignment with Hirshi's perspective of social bonding, that without strong family ties we risk diminished family, and even greater, societal values.
Others argue that there are youth from broken homes who have learned to be strong by striving to create healthy attachments with those around them. My position is that we are not forcing children from their loved ones to look for these attachments elsewhere. Of course there will be exceptions to the rule. There will be children who are better off with some one other than family, but this was not the case with the poster girl on the news. She was not the only kindergarden girl who was confronted with the shock of a motherless return home. Teachers reported that they were doing their best to help kids ease into the desperate situation.
We do not know what harm it is to the children to remove them from their parents,if it is any harm at all. And it is for this reason that we should not want to expose the children to the risk.