Outside The Cube : Forum : Thoughts On Writing

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
LJW

Thoughts On Writing

12 Years Ago

1.  If you think you're a good writer you might be.   2.  If you think you're a GREAT writer, you're not.   3.  The market for printed material in any form is dwindling.   4.  The odds of a poet getting a book published from a mainstream publisher is nil to   none.  Anyone tells you any different, ask for researchable evidence.   5.  Writing with rhyme, rhythm, assonance, and any combination thereof does not make you a poet.   6.  If you edit too much, it becomes someone else's work.  There are two writers inside of you;  the authentic one, and the one who wears an editor's suit and cuts a check.  Shoot that second one.   7. If you say you don't care what anyone says about your writing, you're lying to yourself.   8.  If I read something and don't immediately have a "wow, I wish I wrote that" reaction, I feel my time's been wasted.  Don't waste your time writing mediocre pap.   9.  Never use the word "crimson" when describing blood.   10. Be original.     

Re: Thoughts On Writing

12 Years Ago

if I ever have to describe blood, it will probably be rusty that's probably not very original either

12 Years Ago

Love your post, LJW. The word for blood, in my mind is 'scarlet', the color of this writer's face when teased or embarrassed.

12 Years Ago

:) You said a mouthful here. I will not dispute any of it, BUT, I believe it is also what we make it. If we want the zines and journals to keep pumping, then we've got to read, submit work, buy it. Usually a copy of a zine is less than a trip for one to the movies. And, download prices usually beat the Value Menu at McDonalds. And, in my humble opinion it's worth it.   As for blood: Usually makes me think of copper, red metallic, tastes like pennies, the salty sanguine sap of life, pain that oozes, warm, wet drops of wasted time, clotty claret, garnet goo, vampire milk, mosquito wine, runny red, cardinal soup, crusty russet, murder muck, mortal oil.   Cheers! RG