Phantastic Phantasy : Forum : Plots

[reply] [quote]

Plots

14 Years Ago

I usually write short stories, which don't get me wrong, I love to do. I like creating worlds that may or may not have anything to do with one another, dropping a character ot two into that world, and then making something happen for a couple of pages.

But that's just it. It never gets past a couple of pages. I'd like it to, I want try and challenge myself, but as soon as I try to think of something that would need to be a long story, I immediately dislike it. Or if I do start it, I either get a couple pages in and delete it, or start from scratch.

So, I'm looking for advice on how to avoid doing this. Either ways to stick with it, or ways to think up good plots, and not the stuff that I normally spit out, which in my opinion, fall short of the word good.

So please, please, what can I do about this?

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

One thing that you must remember about long plots is that it takes time to come up with one. Good, elaborate plotlines don't appear in one night (though dreams do help build them :P). Another thing is that you are going to dislike some of the ideas you come up with, it's all part of trial and error.

Anyway, here are a few of the things that help me keep up with a plot.

1. Never throw away an unfinished story! Try to pull through it and finish it no matter how much you think you dislike it. You may hit a 360 and love it when you finish it.

2. Subplots, subplots, subplots. These are what make plots long and elaborate, and they also make the story interesting and appealing. The story isn't very fleshed out if the character is working towards one goal the entire story without taking steps to get there. For example: in a story of mine, the main character's mission is to stop an army from summoning powerful demons, but in between all that his friend is kidnapped and the main character turns his attention to that. Subplot.

3. Probably the most important tidbit to me personally. Create characters with diverse personalities and interesting complexes. Maybe have some characters with secret bonds or dark secrets; anything that makes them interesting enough to make it feel like you know the characters on a personal level. I feel as if my characters are friends to me, and it gives me the motivation to write them and flesh them out, even if it means I have to kill a few of them (only part I hate >.<).

I hoped these helped you in any way! :D

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Dear Samarra,

Imagine your short stories as a book for a second. Imagine chapters to that book, before writing your rough draft, brainstorm numerous possibilities for one character. Working with one character than multiple people is easier to write with since you only have one mind to go with. Like previously mentioned above, make a character that is unique. Maybe he has to wear glasses? Maybe he has asthma? Place yourself in a persons shoes with different characteristics. Though you probably already brainstorm, brainstorm other various plots.

------
For example,
Jim likes to eat hamburgers.
Jim hates chicken sandwiches.
Jim orders a hamburger and is infuriated when he gets a chicken sandwich.
Jim asks the cashier for his hamburger or his money back.
Jim receives his hamburger and sits down to eat.
Jim is called on his cell-phone and doesn't have time to eat as he is needed at the office.
Out of desperation to fill his stomach, he runs towards the door and ends up getting mustard on his white collar shirt.
Jim can't get the stain out.
When he arrives, his co-worker asks him, "Dude, what's up with the mustard stain?"
------

I hope my advice helped you in anyways possible. Good luck.(=

Bye,
Stephen Scaggs