Phantastic Phantasy : Forum : Rewrite

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
<Closed>
[reply] [quote]

Rewrite

14 Years Ago

So, Considering i've figured out some of my clicks in my books that make it sound... amatureish to me. i've decided to Rewrite my book WhiteBlood. i was wondering if at all possible i could get some help on rewriting it such as maybe tips on explaining what a character looks like (i have the tendancy to flat out explain every character nearly the same as the next) and how i would go about in the very story. Cause i tend to stick with the Dialogue too much, leaving the reader astray at times, i think. O.o, any bit of advice would help me alot, thanks.
[reply] [quote]

Re: Rewrite

14 Years Ago

Some personal tips

Okay here's a few tips that work for me when it comes to rewrites and characters.
Rewrites are good but remember that the first draft is only that. (A draft.) Different writers have different methods for developing a story, but one thing they all have in common is the need to do rewrites. If you do multiple reworkings as you go you will wind up with two things; An overdeveloped begining and an overwhelming dread of rereading and editing your manuscript for the hundredth time.
Try this, it works for me. Write a chapter, take a short  break, (an hour or a couple of days, whatever gives you a fresh mind.) Reread the chapter for any obvious errors and corrections ONCE before begining the next chapter soon after the reread to help maintain consistency. When the novel is finished then do the hard edit.
As for characters:
You don't need to describe every little thing about a  character, but you do need to give them something that makes them distinctive (Whatever would be your first impression if you met them for the first time..). If you give the reader a few basic things, (e.g. Hair colour and style, complexion, eye colour, etc.) they will fill in the gaps themselves. Allow the reader to imagine the majority of the character's description for themselves. That being said, be sure to mention anything obviously unusual early on in the characters introduction, (Nothing is quite as disturbing to a reader as finding out the character they've been reading about for three chapters has a third nostril, LOL.)

Hope this helps.

ChrisK