Phantastic Phantasy : Forum : characters in general

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
<Closed>
[reply] [quote]

characters in general

14 Years Ago

So i've hit many problems despite my short writing career. writer's block many times in a row, and lack of descriptive details that make the story seem so fast, yet too much description makes the characters all seem the same, oddly. only one of these i've fixed. with that said, let's just talk about characters in fantasy stories in general, and if not... just a fantasy story in general.
Right now, i need help figuring out a reaction of, let's say, a dead body to a teenage girl (upper 18's) i've thought about nearly every reaction, and each of them seem either so quick and overall cliche to a timid girl. or too strong For anyone in particular.
And another problem. figuring out how long someone would be out to not make it seem like he's superman, if they were to have been knocked out... a few hours? a day? a week, may be pushing it. Give me your thoughts.
[reply] [quote]

Re: characters in general

14 Years Ago

Relating myself as that timid teenager when I was 18, I tried to think about how I, or someone very much like me, would have reacted to seeing a dead body. I probably wouldn't have shouted out anything like "Oh my god!" like the girls sometimes do in the movies and such. I would immediately see the girl tearing up, confused and shocked. Maybe she'd get a sick feeling in her stomach. If she was squeamish she might puke at the sight of blood, if there was any, but then that's if the girl was in fact squeamish. If she didn't break down and cry there and the spot, maybe she'd stumble around until finding the first person she saw. I guess not knowing the character it's tough for me to give exact actions or reactions. If she was that timid and nervous of people, though, she might even have trouble letting someone else know on her own.
As for being knocked out, that I'm not sure about and maybe someone else can help with that. Hope this helped you out some!
<Closed>
[reply] [quote]

14 Years Ago

It does sort of, but i can't explain it to you either because then ill find myself typing out the entire chapter >.< thanks for the reply anyway. doesn't necessarily have to be about those points. tell me about your own characters.  how you came up with them.  ways to come up with a character. and how you'd be able to change that character Logically, and them still seem... not different from themselves. It'd be nice considering im fixing the entire story, Changing the characters... the overall story.. etc...
[reply] [quote]

14 Years Ago

How have I come up with characters? Sometimes they feel like they come out of nowhere ... I think some came out of brainstorming and free writing, i.e. just writing without anything in mind for maybe ten to fifteen minutes. Sometimes what comes out of that is surprising, especially what your first person sounds like and talks about. We are doing it continuously in every day of one class of mine and it really does throw me off what comes out of just ten minutes of freely writing.
When I started NaNoWriMo last year (and didn't get to finish), I knew what I wanted my main character to be like - he had to be into the paranormal and have a wider range of interests in that respect, he had to be amiable to an extent but not afraid to speak his mind. I paired him with a friend who was skeptical, made fun of esoteric things and had a narrow mind. Immediately he became that college kid, the friend who will laugh when something horrible happens to you and he just sort of kept opening up on his own.
I hope to revise and restart that story just because I absolutely was amazed with what came out of it and loved writing it, despite not having the time or energy to get 50,000 words out in a month. But I guess I started with one character in that case, that I fleshed out, and then went to his friend, how they interact, then on and on. I don't know if there's an actual method in there; all I know is, in any class related to characters that I have been in, the one haggling point is getting them fleshed out and developed.
<Closed>
[reply] [quote]

14 Years Ago

Actually, that's great. gives me an idea of basing an entire story first, as a character. Imagine maybe a blank figure in a dark void with no personality. add characteristics in his looks. then personality. then an environment. Definitely not something i would normally think to do, But heh it's a brilliant start, What do you think?
[reply] [quote]

14 Years Ago

I don't see why not - I don't think everyone can operate the same way; we all must have our own creative processes, just as no two people are exactly the same. I think once you have your characters down, the story gets passed along between their development and the events that take place entwined within their paths. If anything, it would be a good exercise at the least. <3
<Closed>
[reply] [quote]

14 Years Ago

Certainly would be interesting to try. I've resolved the problem with her reaction, it lead into the story nicely : )
Something i just noticed as well that I've done... I seemed to have made the side characters seem completely 1 dimensional, or at least it seems. what ways would you use for introducing side characters clearly without making them seem either too round or not round enough? dialogue is always so hard to choose, especially when you want to keep side characters just that; a side character.

I'm probably making this a lot more complex then it actually is supposed to be but, eh. It's always nice to have a good conversation once in awhile.