Poetic Infusion Society : Forum : Publishing and copywrites

Publishing and copywrites

12 Years Ago

I know nothing of publishing or copywrites. If a poem of ours does get selected for a book, what of the issue of copywrites? This site doesnt give away real copywrites, they are just thumbprints. Copywrites arent free and half the people on here are likely to be young people like me who have now idea what they are doing. So what will be done if we are selected but we dont know what to do regarding publishing and copywrites?
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
asa

Re: Publishing and copywrites

12 Years Ago

As far as copyrights are concerned, unless you sign a contract giving away your rights (such as freelance writing) then you retain all rights to your work. You have the original file or handwritten piece while no one else doesn't.

It's true that you can send your work to the copyright office for $30+ a piece, but it isn't necessary for a single poem. Like I said, the rights will depend on the publication you're submitting to. For example, if the piece if for a well-known magazine, they may retain the rights for a year and then the rights revert back to you.

I have some articles published online that after one year, I can go post them elsewhere for new jobs or personal use. You'll have to check the fine print for specifics, but generally, rights revert back to the author.

12 Years Ago

Has anyone heard of DIP Publishing House? 

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by RedInk524
I know nothing of publishing or copywrites. If a poem of ours does get selected for a book, what of the issue of copywrites? This site doesnt give away real copywrites, they are just thumbprints. Copywrites arent free and half the people on here are likely to be young people like me who have now idea what they are doing. So what will be done if we are selected but we dont know what to do regarding publishing and copywrites?
 Here is the email I sent in reply to redink, decided to post it here as well, hope it helps.
  Copyrights are a tricky topic. First we have the creative commons license - protecting you within a website or blogspot or whereever you place your work on the www. It is free and we can help you locate the link. Second, copyrights are obtainable if you are a minor. Copyrights are affordable if you are chosen for the book. Google minors and copyrights to see what your rights are in your state or country. We have taken every precaution available (to us) to protect the written word of writers while on our future site, however, there is only so much we can do for the writer, legally. Thank you for your question, I hope I have helped at all... Legacy

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Nicole Thomas
As far as copyrights are concerned, unless you sign a contract giving away your rights (such as freelance writing) then you retain all rights to your work. You have the original file or handwritten piece while no one else doesn't.

It's true that you can send your work to the copyright office for $30+ a piece, but it isn't necessary for a single poem. Like I said, the rights will depend on the publication you're submitting to. For example, if the piece if for a well-known magazine, they may retain the rights for a year and then the rights revert back to you.

I have some articles published online that after one year, I can go post them elsewhere for new jobs or personal use. You'll have to check the fine print for specifics, but generally, rights revert back to the author.

Very good Nicole and thank you for helping with this, we value you. Legacy

8 Years Ago

vote for me at this link for a review!

Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5