Poetry Lovers Society : Forum : A Quiet Conversation In Church

[reply] [quote]

A Quiet Conversation In Church

2 Years Ago

A Quiet Conversation In Church          by Edmund Siejka   Someone behind me stifled a cough Turning around, the stranger nodded back In the dim light I made out a determined jaw Felt thick fingers holding on to the back of my pew I’ve been coming here for years he said During weekday afternoons When the Church is empty.   I pray in the quiet And find peacefulness That never stops. From it I get strength, a resolve to go on.   Pausing he asked I don’t think I’ve ever seen you here? I answered as best I could I pass by here every day And I thought it was time for me to come in.   He answered Yes, strength and resolve are important. But they come from the inside. No one gives them to you. I had some issues but I knew I couldn’t hide in a bottle And so, I came back to the Church on my own terms.   Still in the shadows He whispered I’m a veteran The government will give vets pills to help them forget their               problems. The Church? They try in their own way and when you die, they’ll say a                 prayer over you But your family is the only one you can rightfully turn to for               help.   I told the stranger We were new to the City That was so crowded and expensive.   We parted but not before he said When you find someone Open your heart and trust them.   Outside, my eyes squinted In the suddenness of sunlight Signs of Spring Were everywhere My cell phone rang Her excited voice telling me that she got the job She always wanted Finally, things were going her way I told her We’ll celebrate Go to the place you always wanted to go In her breathless voice she answered It’s so expensive What else is new I replied We’re going because this is special Because you didn’t give up You made it happen.   And then I realized the old man was right.
[reply] [quote]

Re: A Quiet Conversation In Church

1 Year Ago

I loved this poem because it is a description of a scene and a reflection on it. What is more, it has two characters interacting and giving their perspective on life, so there is a short story within it. Both have struggled and the church is a place to find inner strength and inner calm. In the end, we are introduced to an unseen character but it is the narrator's love and a good news amidst struggles for money. Lovely. I personally love this type of poetry and I too write descriptive and reflective pieces.