Publish Central! : Forum : Publishing Work Posted on This..

[reply] [quote]

Publishing Work Posted on This Site

11 Years Ago

So I'm asking this question for a friend of a friend of a friend (funny how things spread like that) who is considering joining this site. I'm nearly certain this has been answered else where but I was thinking asking you all would be an awesome route, considering I've been led a bit in circles trying to find an answer.
Upon reading the TOS, this friend-three-times-removed wondered if there was any issue publishing work that's been posted here previously, one part of that being the "virgin" status of the work and another being the possibility of needing to obtain permission from WC/Aresta prior to publishing and/or if the situation could arise where WC/Aresta would be owed royalties from anything you do publish.
Any information you might have about this sort of thing would be greatly appreciated and I will pass it along to him.
Thank you!
[reply] [quote]

Re: Publishing Work Posted on This Site

11 Years Ago

I'm new to this site as well and have the same question. Many contests will not allow previously published work, and I've read thats its possible that many publishers will not allow them either. I'd like to post and share, however not if it going to be an issue with publishers.
[reply] [quote]

Re: Publishing Work Posted on This Site

10 Years Ago

It's sad that out of the slue of writers, no one has responded with advice on this. This is where the whole community part of this website breaksdown, cause people seem more concerned about themselves than anything else...
THe answer to your question is multi-faceted. Most publishers wont touch anything published on the internet with a ten foot pole, because if you become popular it means there is a route to that particular piece of writing that doesn't go through the publisher. In short, they get screwed out of publishers rights. Some publishers will allow posts on tiny blogs or websites, but they will usually mention this in the submission guidelines or what-have-you.
Though I doubt the poster of this forum will ever read my answer, I hope this helps somebody, and encourages people to participate in the discussions their group members start!