SELF PUBLISHED WRITING FOR THE BEGINNERS FAQ'S : Forum : This is an extract of Vearon's..

[reply] [quote]

This is an extract of Vearon's birth. Vearon is the main Dragon in the 3rd book of the Alahdorn Series. Hope you enjoy

8 Years Ago

The platform was rather large in comparison to the young woman. Each side was about fifty feet in length with what appeared to be four funnels carved into the flat stone of the platform itself. They appeared from each corner of the platform and met at its centre. The centre where the four funnels met was carved into an inverted dish shape. Standing at the edge of the platform, the woman muttered a mysterious language. With her last word spoken, a deep rumble filled the air. A small vein of lava then poured from the opening of one funnel and made its way down towards the bowl shape at the platforms centre. At the same time a flurry of thick mud and water ran from another, while clear water ran from the third and a funnel of air blew from the last. As all four mixture’s met in the middle, the four elements, fire, wind, earth and water, swirled and rose into the air in a funnel of swirling elements. The young woman then rested on her knees as the swirling elements grew and enlarged until it finally consumed the entire platform. The swirling tornado was of considerable size. Its clashing elements caused flashes of bright, different coloured lights to spark at its core. This magnificent accurance could be seen from a fair distance across the sea bed; causing the nearby coral to shimmer even more brightly. The creatures of the corals and the Mistiquests floated within the waters which surrounded the temple. They too wanted to witness the birth of this magical creation and were mesmerised by the sights of the event. As the light and swelling orb of the swirling elements began to lessen, the bulging orb of magical energy began to diminish. There in the centre of the platform, stood the most graceful, magnificent creature. Its body represented the typical body of any Dragon in Brogan’s era, but this Dragon was the first of its kind. Its size was over triple that of any Dragon Brogan would have met. Its body shone in a golden glow like no other. Faint luminous colours rippled over the surface of the creature’s torso. The body itself was of exception muscle and instead of being covered in scales; it was covered with simple skin. But this skin wasn’t as soft and vulnerable as it looked. Even though the Dragon didn’t have scales covering its entire body, it still had a row of armour plate lining its underbelly and long slender neck. Running down the back of its neck was a line of soft, elegant palomino coloured hair. The hair stopped at its thick, heavy set shoulders. Its wings were covered in a thick layer of skin, which stretched tightly as the creature stretched out its mighty wings and raised them up. The creature’s feet were like scaled paws bearing three large toes and a small talon protruding from the back, with a lethal talon on the end of each one. Its elegant spikes on its back were as golden as the rest of its body. But the horns which donned the creature’s brow were spiked around a delicate looking head, as if the creature wore a type of crown. The Dragon’s tail had a point which had a fish like fin running down both sides of the tail tip and ended up in a paddle shape at the end. The creatures head was smooth, with a long snout and a row of sharp, white pointed teeth on the rim of both top and bottom jaw. Its eyes were sleek and slender, with a dark hazel hue to them. A third eyelid which was of the same colour as the rest of its magnificent body, slid across its eyes as the creature blinked. It had a snout similar to the Dragons of Brogans time, but the snout of this Dragon had slightly sharper features. The creature raised its paw up to its face, as if it were inspecting itself. This creature was new. He hadn’t been born as a typical Dragon hatchling would have been in Brogan’s time. He was born fully grown and strong. The woman approached the mighty Dragon. It appeared slightly bewildered by what was happening but her gentle approach was met with kindness and curiosity. She raised her hand towards the Dragon’s face. As if it knew that she meant no harm, the Dragon returned the gesture and lowered its head so she could touch its slender face. “You are so beautiful.” she smiled as she stared intently into the Dragon’s eyes. “I grant upon you the power of ancient speech and the capability to possess all the magical ability I can bestow upon you.” With the words of the young woman, the creature’s eyes shimmered and sparkled, as if the knowledge and wisdom of speech, understanding and comprehension filled its mind. Flickering its eyes as if the spark of life had been ignited within it, the beautiful creature grunted deep in its gullet, as though it were trying to find its power of speech. Eventually, the creature’s throat grunted out its first words “Who are you?” The creature asked in a deep, crackled voice. With the young woman’s touch, the creature knew the language of man, but he also knew a language like no other. It was more animalistic than that of man, but it was still a language the creature fully understood. And even though he had never spoken these words before, the Dragon knew this unspoken language to be known as Dragonology. “I am Earith.” she answered. “I am what the creatures of these lands have come to call a goddess of Alahdorn. I have no form to speak of I merely use this form as a vessel when walking these lands.” “Wh…who am I?” The Dragon asked. “I have created you for a very special purpose.” Earith replied, as she looked the mighty Dragon up and down. “I would like to bestow upon you the name of Vearon. It is a good name and one meaning ‘courage’ in the ancient language. You are the first of your kind.” “What am I?” Vearon added, as he looked at his wings and tail in awe. “You are a Draconia. In the language of the ancient gods, this means strength, new beginning. You are the first of your kind.” Earith answered. “This is your birthplace.” Earith continued, glancing around at the beautiful white stone of the underwater temple. “I have created this temple from the four elements; fire, wind, earth and water. It is these elements that will give you your power both physically and magically. I give you this life with only one request.” Earith asked. “You are to learn the ways of Alahdorn and the goodness it holds. You must learn to reach your abilities and go on. And in time, you must pass this knowledge onto others.” “Then you are my creator.” Vearon said softly. “I created you,” Earith answered, “But I feel more of a loving parent looking at their first child, than I do, a creator looking at its invention.” Vearon looked upon Earith with confused eyes. “How can I teach when I know of nothing myself?” “I can give you all the knowledge and wisdom you need.” Earith answered. “But we must begin gently. You have a destiny to fulfil.” “What destiny?” Vearon asked with curious eyes. “With the existence of knowledge and understanding comes choice.” Earith answered. “The alignment of good and evil is constantly shifting; there cannot be one without the other. But every now and then in the large expanse of time, the balance of good and evil can shift. If evil succeeds, then the lands will fall to death, ruin and destruction; leading to the death of every living creature. So knowing this, I have taken it upon myself to create a soul that will eventually lead balance and harmony to the lands. Earith stroked Vearons warm refined cheek as she looked upon him with admiration at such a beautiful potential creature. “I cannot interfere with the decision of man, but I can persuade and I can guide. To do this, I will eventually create a child, a vessel that will be born with the unique power to replenish the goodness and strength of the lands of Alahdorn and all good hearted creatures who call the lands their home. This child will represent inner magic, power and wisdom.” Earith then glanced at the beautiful elegant Mistiquests who had gathered to watch the wondrous spectacle of Eariths creation. They watched patiently from the waters on the other side of Eariths protective barrier over the temple. “Once every one hundred years a child will be born processing this ability. They are to be known as ‘Shard Child’.” Earith continued, “When this child is born, the night stars will shine with intensity, indicating the child’s birth. It will be the only child to be born on such a night. On the day of their thirteenth birthday, this child will need to stand in a special place known as the Glass Tower in order to release the magic inside and fulfil their own destiny. I will need you to protect this child and teach him the ways of goodness, strength, wisdom and forgiveness.” “Where is this place?” Vearon asked, his voice slightly clearer now. “Deep in the East lands of Alahdorn lays an open glade with a large boulder at its centre.” Earith explained. “When the time comes, you will take that child to that place. With your touch upon the stone, the ground will give way to a beautiful glass tower, which will hold the stone that will spread the power of the child.” “Why must it be my touch?” Vearon asked, “Why not the child?” “It must be your touch.” Earith replied. “This way, the tower which lies deep beneath the earth will know that it is the touch of the Golden Dragon that protects the child. The child will be strong at heart and powerful in ability, but it will take the inner strength of you both to accomplish the task of raising the temple. “I will do as you ask.” Vearon replied with a respectful bow of his head. Earith once again raised her hand and placed it upon Vearon’s snout. “I feel your energy.” Vearon said, as he looked into Earith’s eyes. “But I also feel your anguish of what may happen if chaos succeeds.” “I have no doubt in your abilities.” Earith explained. “But the temptation of evil, hate and tyranny can become very powerful and seductive.” “I will do everything you ask my goddess.” Vearon answered, again with a respectful grin and nod. “If you will allow me to ride upon your back, I will take you to the lands above these waters, where you will learn your meaning.” Earith explained. “I will teach you all you need and in time, you will teach the shard and complete your destiny.” With that, Vearon complied with Eariths request and dropped his wing to allow her to seat herself upon his back. Vearon then beat his wondrous golden wings, making every tendon and muscle in his toned body, to pull and strain against raising his magnificent body. Raising himself higher, the pressure of Vearon’s wings caused the Acer trees to sway and flow from the powerful gusts. With a powerful thrust, he passed through the barrier which kept the waters at bay from the white stone temple.   The pressure of Vearon’s mighty body passing through the engulfing waters, caused thousands of air bubbles to swirl and pulse around his beating golden wings. Vearon swam up towards the light which filtered through the crest of the waves above. His every muscle tensed and toned, as he moved his heavy body. Finding it easy to hold his breath underwater, Vearon had no difficulty or felt no pressure to gasp for air. It was as though he himself had become part of the waters around him. Once he had reached the surface, Vearons body crashed through the crest of the sea as he raised himself up into the cool sea air. Threads of water spattered across the surface of the cascading waves, as Vearon beat his wings. The air beneath his wings felt good and the heat of the sun upon his body was comforting. Vearon had never felt any of these sensations before and every moment of this new life was cherished. His watery covered scales glistened in the light of the sun. They flashed and flickered with an intense golden glow. “There is a valley not far from here which is untouched by man or any race of chaos.” Earith said, as she gently placed her hand on Vearon’s neck. “It is there that I will teach you. It is there that you will discover your true strength.” Under Earith’s guidance, Vearon flew towards the valley she spoke of. The valley was indeed untouched by man. It was deep with its own waterfall. The waterfall cascaded down the side of the valley and ran into a river at its base. Lush grass and greenery grew amongst the valley sides.
[reply] [quote]

Re: This is an extract of Vearon's birth. Vearon is the main Dragon in the 3rd book of the Alahdorn Series. Hope you enjoy

8 Years Ago

The computer didn't print the work as it was written. The paragraphs and sections have been moulded into one for some reason. So I apologise if you are struggling to read it.
Thanks for looking