Scary Story Writers Group : Forum : Stuck!

Stuck!

16 Years Ago

I've had writers block for awhile, until the other day when I actually wrote a little bit! But I wasn't very satisfied with it because it felt so FORCED..you know what I mean? Normally when I write it just flows...but my Valynx: The Beginning was a struggle to get out. But I felt like I had to write something! That it might help me get past the blocked feeling!
Now I'm feeling blocked still and I don't know what the problem is. Alot of it, I think, is wacked because I totally have a million stories floating around in my head, all played out, and yet, I can't make myself put them onto paper!
I'm more frustrated right now then I've ever been!
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice??? ::confused::

Chrissy

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Sometimes I find that when I have WB, that a good writing prompt helps to eliminate it. :D Also try writing something other than the current project your working on, sometimes it can be just that story you're having the problem with. :) Hope this helped a bit.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Thank you Pauline!!! I really appreciate it, and yes! it does help! ::smile::

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

While I'm a pretty young fellow, from what I have heard, read, and experienced, this is something that we all must endure. Sometimes I write things and they feel forced but as at least a handful of famous writers have said, writing is work when it is done correctly. Just like any other working endeavor I think there are days when you just have to tough it out and be thankful for that.

When I feel my writing is forced I just let it be but I keep writing, even if I have to resort to typing random, meaningless sentences. Eventually things will flow again.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Chrissy, when I have writer's block, which isn't too often anymore, I sit down somewhere with a pad and pen in hand--usually outside near my garden. Then I write what I see, nothing but scenery. By then, my juices are usually flowing pretty good.

When I am done with the scenery I pick something, anything to put with it. In your case, you like vampires. After you write your scenery, put a vampire in the ground, his head seperated from his body and how someone searching for him. This becomes the basis for your story.

Then go from there.

By starting with scenery, you are basically writing your setting. Once you get the setting in place, usually your mind is in gear. Try it and see what happens.

AJ

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Aw, thanks you guys! You are a ton of help, and I really appreciate it.
Victor, you're right..I should just write, even though it isnt exactly flowing. I know they say as long as you're writing something, its better than not at all.

Aj, I love your idea! Im totally going to use it! As I was reading your reply, I was imagining this vampire and it's head lying on opposite sides of a garden!

I think alot of my problem right now is focus. I need to focus on one storyline, and just stick with it. Im sick of all of these stories I start, but never finish. what a waste!
I know I have it in me to write something really good, i just need to get my s**t together, focus, and hunker down and get it done!

Thanks guys! ::smile::

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I have the same exact problem you have hon, I start a lot of stories and it takes me forever to get around to finishing them. A lot of that has to do with my ADD and I find that when I try to concentrate on one project, I get distracted by something. Then again, most of my stories end up turning into novellas and novels. LOL! ::drool::

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Chrissy, writing stories and not finishing them is a way of life for writers. I've written over 300 short stories and three novels. For each story I've written, I've probably started 2 more and never finished.

AJ

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Oh how true. I've completed one novel only to lose it in a fire & flood, now I'm re-writting it. But in the meantime, I've started 2 others. I've written a few short stories here and there. But Alas, I'm stuck as I cannot move on on anything until I rid my mind of another tale that will not permit me to move on with anything else. So tonight I sit at my PC to scribe the beginning to "Twilight's War". Will I ever finish the first, again?

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Chrissy, you are not alone. I was faced with a similar experience, except mine was a little more grandiose since my time away for readings. I could not escape the WB grasps until I figured out how to get the clog out. So I had to find that plunger, the ol' voice in my head. I asked the voice and waited. And waited. and waited. Then something came, I jotted it down and thought of a pathway in which I could use. Voila(sp error?), I had something.
No forced writing. My method, I am beginning to think is working for me, is as follows:
01. Begin Story 01.
02.Write to extreme minimal details.
03.Go Vvery Very quick to establish the pathway.
04. Once a dead end hits, create a bunch of backstory questions in relation to the story and its characters.
05. Begin Story 02.
06. Follow steps 2,3,4
07. Repeat as necessary.
This method is not guarenteed to work. It might help your or it may just hassle you around. Get a folder(s) to store these stories in and get another type of folder, these are for manuscript drafts. Since editing and writing are two different proficiencies, you need to put at least four to six weeks in between so your eyes will become fresh. *It is also advisable when finishing a piece, you avoid at all costs to review that piece of work you have finished*

One other thing. Always have stories lie in wait to take care of this downtime. You'll become so much more productive.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Thank you Vincent! You all have helped me so much! luv ya! ::smile::

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

write in your journal even if its just detailing your day activites. this way your still writing, and it may even unblock that pesky muse. :) Just an idea.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Thanks Dawn! You guys are all awesome! it's nice to know I can rely on some great advice. you all helped me more than you know!
Im here for you, if ya need me. ::smile::