Stories and Books : Forum : Need help regarding the story ..

Need help regarding the story ideas

11 Years Ago

Hi, 
I am newbie to the writing and I like to write. I have started writing a story based on the three characters but I am struck in the middle. I need some suggestions and ideas for my story to move forward. Please help me. 

Plot: A kid (age 10-14), a girl(age 20-23) and a middle-aged man (age 55-60) are accidentally stuck in a deserted place and they have to travel together to reach their destinations. 

This is the plot of my story. I have the background stories of each one but I am struck in the journey part. Could anyone please help me. Just share your ideas what they can do after the meet-up in that place. 

Thank you

Re: Need help regarding the story ideas

11 Years Ago

I like your idea; however in order to go on ask yourself a few questions. Is your story plot driven or character driven? From the sound of it it's plot driven, so ask yourself why are they stranded together in the first place? How did they all end up there? I'd like to think that one of them (Perhaps the older man) goes crazy and turns against the group. (I'm a crazy type writer with stuff like that haha) And, where are they headed? Did something happen for to drive them together and to their destination? Some food for thought. Keep in mind that many fiction writers (myself included) have no idea what's going on until they write it for themselves. More often times than not you will surprise yourself as your story develops and surprises you as the writer. I hope this is of some help to you

11 Years Ago

This is what I would do, I would sit down and write out each of the character's goals. Are the goals just simply to get to civilization? Are they looking for buried treasure? Or, perhaps you want more science-fiction and so they are hiding from Aliens in the desert? Once you figure out the goal of the group, you can ask yourself what would be the next step toward that goal? How would the characters logically go from this step to the next.

11 Years Ago

@Alexander Rodgers Thank you very much for the reply. My basic idea about this is characters driven. I just made them to meet on a place and sharing their ideology and learning from each others. I have each one's background stories and their final aims too but the problem I am getting is how to tell them those things in a proper way. Thank you very much for idea of 'food', I thought about it that they go to a near small inn. My concept is simply sharing their memories and their aims. And I am going to write it like a feel good story just like David Lynch The Straight Story or The Way kind of story.

11 Years Ago

ShadowHawk Thank you very much for the reply. I just want to make this a feel good story. No sci-fi or no crime. My basic idea is to make them friends and sharing their memories and their future goals. And they should be on traveling to their destinations. Please share if you have any ideas. I Got each one's background story and I am backing in making it in a proper way. 

11 Years Ago

I'm glad I could be of help :). Sounds like your getting everything under control :D

11 Years Ago

Alexander Rodgers Your help is really helpful. I have the things they have to share during their journey but absolutely not in control :) I am not a traveler so I don't know the odds one gets during it. I think it's purely about experience more than imagination. Please share if you have any memorable things during your journeys. Thanks again. It looks like my story will a push from this thread :)

11 Years Ago

Could anybody share your traveling experience with strangers please....

11 Years Ago

Things you eed to consider: How did they get there? What do they have on them? Where are they going? Who are they? Where are they coming from?

I know you've already answered some of these questions, but each one leads to more. Eg. If they are on foot and don't have enough water for their journey, how will they tackle this obstacle? It would also do you well to always treat them as individuals and not a singular group. Interpersonal dynamics can really make a story, as even in a group as small as this a hierarchy will emerge and they will each make judgements about each other, true or otherwise. 

You mentioned you want a feel-good story, so I would recommend the boy stepping up to overcome an obstacle the other two struggle with, thus surprising the others (and the reader too). Child-hero stories are real crowd pleasers. 

Hope I was helpful, and best of luck! 

11 Years Ago

All the post are great very helpful.