Stuff stuff Chat X) : Forum : Theology

[reply] [quote]

Theology

10 Years Ago

Copy and paste of my blog post:
-------
"After I had read a snippet from Bakunin, I began to wonder: The people who go to church and worship this so-called "God", are they really happy? If church is no more than a vessel to false sense of happiness and contentment, are the only truly happy people ones who have no investment in this God character? I find church and religion to be the same thing that conservatives and authoritarian figures claim drugs are - a way to make you feel better about your s****y lives. While I think that a lot of drugs are not what the aforementioned claim them to be, that is for another discussion. Church and the religions that may or may not go along with them are but a chamber for one replenish their "Fake-Happy" meter. As Marx has said, religion is the opium of the people. And to add my own words to that, it may feel fantastic at first. But it will eat you from the inside out until your entire life revolves around the ultimately pointless sustenance."
-------

I realize a lot of people on this site fuel their writing with religion, and I find that saddening. As mentioned in the above text, religion is and will always be a crutch for people who cannot comprehend or deal with their own lives. The more and more I read of Mikhail Bakunin, the more I find myself agreeing with him on every corner. Theology is a pointless endeavor. For some people it is also a way to "know" what happens after death. I also find this absurd. Let the alone the fact that nobody really "knows" anything, how could you know what happens/where you go after death? Simply because ink-soaked paper written by who-knows-who said so? Essentially "If you follow all these stupid rules, you will go to heaven. If you break one of these strange rules, you go to a place of eternal hellfire." Aside from the unknown reasons for which one would follow these rules and even more so the entire ideology, you have no way of knowing. You have not died. Those who say they have had near-death experiences or have even "died" and came back do not know. For one, if you had died, your mind would be completely shut off and you would have no cognitive abilities. Thus, even if you DID encounter this God-being, you would not remember it. And if you had came back after this "death", it is not death. Death is permanent cessation of all bodily functions. Near-death experiences are another thing entirely. When one is faced with imminent death, or the illusion of imminent death, their brain releases dimethyltryptamine. This DMT is what I consider to be "the mother of all psychedelic hallucinogens." It takes you to another world inside your mind, and if you see any sort of theological being it is no doubt because you are tripping your a*s off. All in all, we will never know during this lifetime. We have no way of knowing what happens after death. And this impossible goal of learning what happens is but a symptom of the bigger problem: The illusion of a theological being.
-----

That's all I have on this for now. If any of you have an opinion on this please voice it. I would like to get people talking about this.
[reply] [quote]

Re: Theology

10 Years Ago

Yes. I would like to say a few things.
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

I would like to say a lot of things, about how you are wrong, and yada yada yada, and how you don't know much about "theology," etc. etc. But I'm only going to say one thing: I love God because I have that right. 
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Oh I see. So you are one of those characters who does things based on the single simple fact that they can? How about rape? Will you rape because you can? Will you smash your television because you can? Will you shoot yourself in the foot because you can? Such broad statements do nothing for a conversation/debate/argument/whatever. It only serves to make you sound ridiculous on whatever the subject is. 

[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Also, if you have things to say to me, then say them! Tear me down, challenge me. Either that, or try to open your mind to new ideals. I welcome any sort of response.