The Briny Muse : Forum : Simplicity

[reply] [quote]

Simplicity

12 Years Ago

Quote - Simplicity is a pleasant thing in children, or at any age, but it is not necessarily admirable, nor is affectation altogether a thing of evil. To be normal, to be at home in the world, with a prospect of power, usefulness, or success, the person must have that imaginative insight into other minds that underlies tact and savoir-faire morality and beneficence. This insight involves sophistication, some understanding and sharing of the clandestine impulses of human nature. A simplicity that is merely the lack of this insight indicates a sort of defect.

(Charles Horton Cooley (1864-1929), U.S. sociologist. Human Nature and the Social Order, ch. 5 (1902).)
[reply] [quote]

Re: Simplicity

12 Years Ago

I find simplicity is something overworked people flock too .Because it allows for joy without the effort of intense work.I too see this in my little friend Drake who designs and helps me build kitesw at times to fly at the par.It is always a joy But a man needs a chalenge to stay sharp .Without it he becomes lethargic and finally loses ope and with it the desire that brings joy to life.The greatest of these types are tha von brauns who can deligate complex ideas to a lot of people to achieve their goals .Goals un attained before and un able to be done alone,These are generally Jimmy doolittles who lead by exampe and then as others follow they excel and find their wings, Between von braun whose rocket reached the moon and doolittle who lived through a suicidal bombing of japan we find that the men around them admire doolittle best because he could let them share he glory,Von braun was more selfish and so less liked by his contemporaries