The Wood Beyond The World : Forum : Elsie Bischoff Thread...

Elsie Bischoff Thread...

16 Years Ago

I have opened this thread for anyone wanting to discuss the work of Elsie Bischoff, our newest member.

Welcome aboard Elsie.

Nick.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Thanks, Nick! Although I'll admit, I had a laugh at the somewhat dyslexic take on my name. No worries--it happens all the time, especially at the pharmacy. ;)

Anyhow, just thought I'd take the opportunity to briefly present my work.

I have two projects going on, now: The Life of Agartus and a novella, which for now I'm referring to as Caliban.

Thanks again to everyone who already reviewed the first part of Agartus. The idea for the story is relatively new (meaning that I've been sitting on it for a year, letting it gestate): the narrator, Daecian, seeks revenge for wrongs committed against his father and himself by the ruler of the Armanhiran Empire. In the process he woos a princess, becomes the chief of a tribe known as the Toad Eaters, discovers an ancient city, brings water to the desert, forges an alliance between two former enemies, and declares his own apotheosis. In short: he becomes the most infamous leader in the history of my fictitious world. Expect many a rollicking adventure!

At this moment, I'm borrowing a lot from other writers: The King Must Die, by Mary Renault; The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield; The Memoirs of Hadrian, by Marguerite Yourcenar; also, The Annals of Imperial Rome, by Tacitus. (The Virtues of War is a great read, by the way...I would recommend taking a look at it, if you ever have to write an epic battle scene. Nobody does it better than Steven Pressfield.)

I actually just started into Agartus again because I needed a break from Caliban. I haven't posted any of the latter here because, for now, it's more sci-fi than fantasy. In it, a wounded soldier, struggling with amnesia, finds himself entangled in a conspiracy deep within enemy territory. There are gods and other supernatural forces at work in this one, too, but they haven't showed much of themselves, yet.

So, that's what I currently have on my plate. I hope to have at least a draft of Caliban before school devours me once again in the fall. Thanks to everyone, in advance, for your help.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Humbly hangs head. ::cry:: Will have to put off the flirting for now. ::cool::

Nick.