The Wood Beyond The World : Forum : Aaaarrrgggghhh!

Aaaarrrgggghhh!

16 Years Ago

I guess y'all know what Charlie done did... what a pain.  I'm glad I retrieved the last half of the second chapter of my new thing, and chapter three, before this disaster -- I'd just lost them from my notebook due to a Microsoft/Hewlett-Packard screw-up, and copied and pasted them to Word in my husband's computer yesterday.  Thank God I didn't wait to do it!

So, Woodfolk, time to start over -- please post anything you want your comrades to read and review, and we can all take a deep breath and forge ahead.

I'm only posting my new thing, to begin with.  Have at it.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
G

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Having worked with computers in a past life I can sympathize with Charlie. (I actually laughed but it was the bitter laugh of been there, done that.)

Glad to hear you saved your stuff, Leah, and I hope nobody lost any original copies.

Gayna

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Ah, the joys of computers!

The trick is to always have the original stuff on your own computer and backup every few weeks. I don't rely but anyone by myself.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Loekie and Gayna:

I'm usually very cautious, but I've been distracted by that ABNA thing and the joys of starting something new, and I'd recently backed up everything before sending my notebook out for repair, including on-line backup -- so I just didn't think of backing up the new stuff -- thank God the Cafe was still functioning when I needed it!  This is synchronicity, I'm sure -- further reinforcement of the importance of back-ups and multiple storage sites.

I figure this whole debacle at least cleared some of the dross out of the Cafe, and maybe will disillusion the faint of heart -- what's left will be the saving remnant.

Glad someone else is awake, is all I can say -- I'm not surprise you are, Gayna, being on the other side of the world and all, but Loekie, don't you need your beauty sleep?

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hopefully everyone would have backed up copies of their work so it shouldn't be too serious. We shouldn't really rely on the internet to hold the most up-to-date or only copies of our work. Its a shame it happened, though. I feel sorry for Charlie in a way.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I feel bad about the massive dumpage. i haven't honestly posted any real material in many months, and anything part of Cosmos i took down a long time ago. Considering the masssive deletion, i thought i'd post something and share it with the group.
 It's a Cosmos piece, but not very much.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Beauty sleep, Leah? What is that? Because of ever changing shifts, I don't have much of a body clock any more. So I am up at bizarre hours, like from 2-4 today and now I'm up again.

My heart goes out to you, Leah. A couple of years ago I had made the mistake of not backing up my hard drive. Then it crashed. I had six months of writing, most new stuff for Tangled Threads. Thank the fates I had everything printed out. But it took me some time to re-enter all the chapters and resource material.

So now I am paranoid and don't trust any machine or server. I suppose it has to happen once before we become vigilant. Time to repost Tangled Threads.

ttfn