The Wood Beyond The World : Forum : Trying to get a job

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
reb

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Wow, Loekie. That's deep. The homeless thing is one of my biggest secret fears. And unfortunately, I see it happening to more folks in the future (in the US) as SS and our health care system tumble. Of course, I hope that something will happen to save it all. Perhaps a farsighted president. Or someone or something else. It's time for new ideas and the courage to try new things here.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Rebecca, Loekie -- my family and I have lived on the edge of disaster for years, mostly because of the inadequacies of health care, which is in a shambles in this country.  It either swallows up most of your income, or, if you rely on the tattered social safety net, you're at the mercy of whatever state you live in.  Most states take care of children and pregnant women fairly adequately, but adults are left to scrape up whatever care they can. One of our main reasons for wanting to get back to New Mexico, Albuquerque specifically, was the availability of more and better care for all of us, through the University Hospital.

We've never been homeless, but we've come close a couple of times -- keeping our heads above water is incredibly draining -- being poor is a full-time job with unpaid overtime.  I know how to be poor pretty comfortably, thank goodness -- I'm not a Consumer.  Security is all I'm shooting for.

For the day-to-day struggle I just figure whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger. (I'd attribute that quote, but I can never remember how to spell the fellow's name -- too many consonants.)

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
reb

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

What struck me during my 3 1/2 years of extreme poverty (supporting a teenager and working full time: at an unnamed bookstore) was how everything seemed designed to make you fail, and how badly I was nickel and dimed. (I have read "Nickel and dimed," by the way. It was enlightening.) No matter how hard I tried, or how much I scrimped, I just could not make ends meet. I probably have an unhealthy obsession with money because of all that. One of the worst eyeopeners was taxes and the IRS. How they wanted and took from someone who had so little. Even just claiming "1" on my withholding, I ended up paying in every year. And although I did have medical insurance through my work, it managed to cover hardly anything while taking huge chunks of my income for enrollments and copays. There was no retirement or pension or anything like that through my work, so it was just a matter of working paycheck to paycheck until age or health forced me to stop. And then what? That's where the cardboard box under a bridge embankment fear came in.

Oh, can't think about it too much. I start to hyperventilate!

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I hear what you are saying, Leah and Rebecca. It makes no difference be it is the States or Canada, the system is not there for people who need help.

I was lucky because I was on my own. I did not have the responsibility of anyone else on my shoulders. And you are right, Rebecca. It seems that the system is designed for people to fail. To become cheaters, play the system.

Yeah, the bad times can make one shudder. You don't want to look back. But for me, the tough times gives us strength many don't know. It gives us an appreciation of the true things in life, not the mundane, material things.

I'm still struggling, paying off bills from years ago, including from the tax man. I live pay check to pay check. But I have a roof over my head. I have food in the kitchen. And I can support that bad vice, smoking. All the rest is nice to have but I've lived without before, so I can do that now.

I would love to have an iPod. I would love to upgrade this old clunker of a computer that is 8 years. I could definitely use a dual head video card for a second monitor with all the work I do on this machine. But having that is gravy on the main meal I have right now.

I'm alive. I have some amazing friends, some here. Tomorrow I am going to have my kick-a*s herbed chicken breasts with roasted potatoes. What else could I ask for?

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I knew I would never get rich being a cab driver, but thanks to a major lack of serious health problems, I did okay for 11 years. This changed when I got rear ended in '92 and as a result, I have a very low opinion of the methods employed by the Department of Social and Health Services--even after I was "granted" disability. It is good they are there for children and pregnant women but for anyone else...?

Leah, I'll continue to think good thoughts toward you finding a job that suits you.

next Next Page
last Last Page