The Wood Beyond The World : Forum : Harry Potter - A Misstep?

Harry Potter - A Misstep?

15 Years Ago

Gayna, in one of my threads, brings up something intriguing. Quote:
I might think too much about some things but one thing that annoyed me about Harry Potter was the magic. The magicians were capable of doing wonderful medicine but refused to share it with the muggle world. Nasty selfish magicians.

Imagine if you could mend broken bones in hours instead of weeks. Think of the suffering that would save. and that is one of the minor medical procedures they seemed capable of fixing.

The possibility for crime also amazed me. Voldemort has the possiblity of taking over the entire world if he wanted so why was he worrying about such small fry.

This shows there needs to be limitations on magic. Did magic medicine not work on muggles? If so tell me so. Was the White House, crown jewels etc protected from magic? If so tell me so.

Just a thought

Like, wow, I never saw this. And I can see where you are coming from. Since Harry is from the Muggle world and as things got darker, one would think this would come to mind. Yet J. K. does have Muggles brought to Mungo's if they are affected by magic "attacks". But you are right, why don't they share?

Okay, all members of the Wood, let's hear what you have to say. I have a lot to say but let's get some voices started and then I'll jump in. Hee-hee.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Prejudice and fear, pure and simple, on both sides.  Think X-Men and how the humans reacted to the mutants.  The magic community would have had it deeply engrained in them for a thousand years not to share their secret for fear of persecution.  Remember the Spanish Inquisition and the Salem witch trials?  Scary stuff.  In maintaining their isolation for centuries, they became disdainful of muggles, much like the vampires in the Anne Rice series, who viewed humans as cattle.

I'm sure there were instances of wizards using their powers to help humans, as they did during Voldemort's attack, but they kept it hidden out of fear, being outnumbered by the muggles.

That's my two cents worth.

Jeanie