The Wood Beyond The World : Forum : Got a job!

Got a job!

15 Years Ago

I got a job, start tomorrow.

A Catholic goods store called Garson & Sons, at their shop on our Old Town Plaza -- beautiful location, not far from where we live, I can take the bus if I want to (and I'll likely want to.)

I am a card-carrying Catholic, for those who don't know it, so this sort of thing suits me -- maybe not as well as a regular bookstore -- but at least Mr. Garson wasn't disturbed that I wanted Sundays off.  And the plaza is a beautiful place.  Tourists are more fun to work with than ordinary local grouches, too (I used to work on Santa Fe's plaza, years ago, so I know from experience.)

I'll be working four days a week, so I'll still have time for The Wood and all my other projects.  Also, work starts at 10AM so I won't have to be going to bed and rising with the chickens either.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Whoo-hoo, congratulations!  Sounds ideal, and with gas going up every day, I'm jealous you can take the bus! 

Jeanie

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Congrats Leah. Sounds perfect for you. Keep us updated on how it goes. x

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Yesterday was my first day.

So far, so good.  The 300-year-old church on the plaza is having its parish fiesta this weekend, so we weren't terribly busy.  One simple cash register to manage, a very small sales floor (three little rooms in an old building that used to be a residence, with a patio off the kitchen, where we hope to sell snacks in the future, display our St. Francis birdbaths, garden angels, and the like.)  The store just moved there a few months ago, so it's really only 1/3 set up -- the owner wants to increase the stock of books, more serious Catholic stuff, both philosophical and devotional, and of course that's right up my alley.  As the person with the most experience, working the most days, I'll have quite a bit of authority in keeping things organized, helping to refine the set-up.

My days off are Sunday, Thursday, and Friday -- perfect for me, as those two weekdays should provide plenty of time for appointments of all kinds and household errands.  I can still stay up latish to write, even on work-nights.

In a couple of months my family and I should be financially stable and secure again, and I can see sticking with this job for the indefinite future.

Thanks to everyone for all your prayers and incantations during my job-search.  As usual, God has provided.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
G

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Congratulations!

It sounds great for you.

I have just decided to enrole to do primary teacher training. For years I have said "I don't want to be a teacher," then I asked myself why not? I enjoy helping out in my kids' classes.

Next year Elizabeth starts full time preschool and while I was planning to write full time that won't pay the bills. (Though I alway hope that one day...!) I used to work in a milk quality lab but, although I loved it at the time, I don't fancy going back.

Because I already have a degree I only have to do a year of training but I will probably do it part time over two years. Its been twenty years since I studied so I don't want to rush in and take on too much. I still have Richard and the kids to look after.

I know this is really going to cramp my writing time but hopefully I will still find some time.

Gayna

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Gayna,

I am totally impressed by anyone who can teach!  My mom is a retired teacher, and I was a substitute teacher many years ago.  I learned pretty quickly that I did not have what it takes. I wish you the best in your new endeavor.  The main thing, I think, is that you have the desire to teach, and that will come across loud and clear.  The right teacher can make a huge difference.  

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Congrats, both of you! Ah, change is in the air it seems.

Too bad your bookstore is way down south, not in Canada. There are a bunch of Hans Kung books I would love to get my hands on.

I look forward to hear all the adventures in from the book store and the primary school. Story we might all be able to use in our worlds.
reb

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Congratulations, Leah! It sounds like the job was made for you. And the money will be nice, I'm sure.

Gayna, I second the notion that teachers are a breed apart, very special indeed. I sure couldn't do it. Congrats to you, too.

I've been thinking about going out and finding a job. I've been pondering what sort of thing I would actually enjoy. My home work seems to me to be fizzling and grinding down to nothing. One thing about the place I live: there are jobs everywhere.

G

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Originally posted by reb

Gayna, I second the notion that teachers are a breed apart, very special indeed. I sure couldn't do it.

I thought that until very recently so it will be interesting to see how I go. My sister was the teacher. I always said "I don't want to teach - I don't even like kids" but I am discovering have three kids of your own changes you. Now I like being at school and working as parent help.

I have been climbing the walls lately. My husband is busy with a new job and his free time is taken up with Scouts (he is both a Joey Scout (6 - 8 y.o) and Venturer (14-18 y.o.) Leader.) And my babies will soon be all at school.

I thought I'd be spend more time writing but the new book I am writing just hasn't grabbed me. When I sit down to write, even when I know what I want to write,  I seem to spend most of my time doing other things.

Now I am really looking forward to starting my course at the end of July.

Gayna

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Congratulations, Leah.