The Wood Beyond The World : Forum : Canadian Competition

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
G

Canadian Competition

15 Years Ago

An acquatance (?) of mine recently told me of  a canadian competition.

Publication with Bookland Press, an independent Canadian publisher. Open to all creative mss over 50pp(picture books 25pp). Costs $45 to enter.

Tom wrote that so far only canadians have won (2yrs) but the winner were actually published (he checked).

I'm not interested but I thought I would pass it along in case anyone else was.

Gayna

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

You have to watch out for competitions that charge a fee.   99% are scams.    They associate the entry fee to a reading fee.   But the truth is they will wait till they have X amount of entries, skim the submissions and pick what they consider the best.   So, if you have 100 enteries at $45 each, thats what...$4,500 dollars, or enough to publish the piece through a POD service and have overhead cost taken care of or even extra left over.

Me, I would want to know who the judges are and what are their qualifications.   Look at the contest that came out of Amazon...no fee required and you knew who the final judges would be upfront.

I am not saying this one is a scam, but Writers Beware warns writers away from most contest or even agents that charge a reading fee.  For agents, it unethical.

In traditional publishing...the fee goes to the author...always.

Nick.