The Wood Beyond The World : Forum : Just thought I'd share this...

Just thought I'd share this...

15 Years Ago

I was doing some research on Medieval combat and came across this site.  It has information on many various Medieval combat techniques, and it has pictures.  It includes techniques for weapons like daggers and spears, and various maneuvers from horseback, as well as the use of shields and bucklers as weapons themselves.  Honestly, some of these moves they used I never would have thought of, but they're fantastic.  I found this site in my mission to make combat in my work be realistic instead of flashy.  Just thought I'd share the link! 

Edit:  the link works now!  Put in one letter too many.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Thanks, Andy, I will definitely check it out.

Jeanie

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Andy,

Good reference...thank you.   Post any more like sites you may find.  Fashion, Transportation, Ship building, farming, building techniques...anything to help us along.

Nick.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
G

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Great site! Thank you.

I've added it to favorites and will definately use it when I go back to my knights. (No knights in my current book and boy do I miss them - I love a man with a big sword!)

When I was writing Servant of the Phrenet I got my Tai Chi Master who also teaches sword and other japanese weapons to give me a demonstration. The weapons are different than the medieval ones  I wrote about but it gave me a feel for the combat etc. Being Japanese there was so much ritual before and after and the fighting was incredibly fast.

I used to do Japanese Tai Chi which was taught as a martial art. No Flying Cranes for us. It was "This is a blow to the throat and this is a strike to break the opponent's nose" It was very informative. I haven't done it for 4 years but I had become very dangerous in slow motion.

Gayna

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Thank you Andy -- definitely useful.  I've observed and spoken to several SCA members, and they were an excellent resource for similar info.  Good to have it all in one spot, on the internet!