The Wood Beyond The World : Forum : Strange Concepts of Creation M..

Strange Concepts of Creation Myth

15 Years Ago

I'm not sure if this has been covered yet, but as I found myself writing the creation story to the Skare, I realized something. I have found myself being heavily influence by the Irish Concepts of Life and Death. The Irish have this idea of Cheantar, which is our world. We live in Cheantar. Then there is Altar, which is the fairy or the other world. When you die you merely go into that world and a place is made for you.

So as I found myself writing about the myth I have again created this very strange concept. My world doesn't have gods, it has what I call Aspects. The world itself is ruled by this rule of life, death and reclamation. The Irish idea actuallly helped me play into the idea of where the world's first race came from.

The Skare is split between the Material World and the Immaterial. The Immaterial is where Energy and Spirit exist in raw uncontrolled concepts. The first race evolved actually from the memories and experiences of dying animals and over time coalesced into a people. They then came out of the Immaterial and became Material. Weird huh.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

All kinds of myth are interesting -- I want to do more with that for my world -- especially the beliefs of the tribal peoples in various places (starting with my beloved Telmi.)  I've alluded to some fragments of mythology/folklore, but haven't figured anything out in detail.

The primary belief system is monotheistic, probably with a similar creation story to the one found in Genesis.

But I have cultures that are animistic, or have pantheons of deities like the Hindu or ancient Greek.  I know I have to do the deep background on all of this, though only allusions will likely ever make their way into the actual novels.

Wish Loekie would chime in on this.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
reb

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Originally posted by Patrick O'Callaghan

I'm not sure if this has been covered yet, but as I found myself writing the creation story to the Skare, I realized something. I have found myself being heavily influence by the Irish Concepts of Life and Death. The Irish have this idea of Cheantar, which is our world. We live in Cheantar. Then there is Altar, which is the fairy or the other world. When you die you merely go into that world and a place is made for you.

So as I found myself writing about the myth I have again created this very strange concept. My world doesn't have gods, it has what I call Aspects. The world itself is ruled by this rule of life, death and reclamation. The Irish idea actuallly helped me play into the idea of where the world's first race came from.

The Skare is split between the Material World and the Immaterial. The Immaterial is where Energy and Spirit exist in raw uncontrolled concepts. The first race evolved actually from the memories and experiences of dying animals and over time coalesced into a people. They then came out of the Immaterial and became Material. Weird huh.

I am intrigued by your "gods the Aspects." Not weird at all. It sounds unique, although I think it would be difficult to make this foreign belief clear, yet interesting, in a novel. At least, it would be difficult for ME. I tend to be verbose and I go on too long about things. Your Irish belief reminds me of the Barddas, a Welsh belief which is a great influence in my own story. They believe in 3 circles of life,

The Circle of Abred, in which are all corporal and dead existences.

The Circle of Gwynvyd, in which are all animated and immortal beings.

The Circle of Ceugant, where there is only God. The wise men describe them thus, in three Circles.

Here is one of the most valuable quotes from the Barddas (for my story):

"Q. Through how many different forms didst thou come, and what happened unto thee?"
"A. Through every form capable of life, in water, in earth, in air. And there happened unto me every severity, every hardship, every evil, and every suffering, and but little was the goodness or Gwynfyd before I became a man. . . . Gwynfyd cannot be obtained without seeing and knowing everything, but it is not possible to see or to know everything without suffering everything. . . . And there can be no full and perfect love that does not produce those things which are necessary to lead to the knowledge that causes Gwynfyd."Every being, we are told, shall attain to the circle of Gwynfyd at last.

Very similar, eh? What would we do without the British Isles? My husband says Scotland invented everything. (It actually came from me before he stole it.)

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Originally posted by reb

Originally posted by Patrick O'Callaghan

I am intrigued by your "gods the Aspects." Not weird at all. It sounds unique, although I think it would be difficult to make this foreign belief clear, yet interesting, in a novel. At least, it would be difficult for ME. I tend to be verbose and I go on too long about things. Your Irish belief reminds me of the Barddas, a Welsh belief which is a great influence in my own story. They believe in 3 circles of life,

The Circle of Abred, in which are all corporal and dead existences.

The Circle of Gwynvyd, in which are all animated and immortal beings.

The Circle of Ceugant, where there is only God. The wise men describe them thus, in three Circles.

Here is one of the most valuable quotes from the Barddas (for my story):

"Q. Through how many different forms didst thou come, and what happened unto thee?"
"A. Through every form capable of life, in water, in earth, in air. And there happened unto me every severity, every hardship, every evil, and every suffering, and but little was the goodness or Gwynfyd before I became a man. . . . Gwynfyd cannot be obtained without seeing and knowing everything, but it is not possible to see or to know everything without suffering everything. . . . And there can be no full and perfect love that does not produce those things which are necessary to lead to the knowledge that causes Gwynfyd."Every being, we are told, shall attain to the circle of Gwynfyd at last.

Very similar, eh? What would we do without the British Isles? My husband says Scotland invented everything. (It actually came from me before he stole it.)

The really interesting thing is that Scotland is actually pretty much a former colony of Ireland. Scot comes from the roman word Scotii, which was what the Dal Riata colonists were called long ago. It also was a term that referred to the Irish in General. One reason why the Scots speak a Q-Celt language, Scotch Gaelic, and not a P-Celt Language like Welsh.

To my idea the Aspects aren't exactly gods. They have power, they have their own minds, but they are rigidly defined by the the song of the Rapture and the Order of the Cycle. In essences they are merely parts in the big order of the cosmos. Think a bit about how the Chinese had the celestial beaucracy which was led by the Jade Emperor. Apsects also are fueled by the Eternal Fount, which is the name given to the idea that energy is forever existent in a cycle of creation, cleansing and reclamation.