The Wood Beyond The World : Forum : Drink and Draw...

Drink and Draw...

15 Years Ago

Mister threadmaster here setting off a new thread. The title makes sense, if you will bear with me.

A good friend of mine, Mathieu, just graduated from college in animation. He told me about that he and his classmates would get together once a week to have what they called "Drink and draw". The idea was to get together for a few hours in a cafe and chat & drink and draw. They would talk and sketch.

He has been trying to get me to join them for a while but I was "hello, I'm a writer. You guys are artists. You sketch and draw. I scribble." He kept at me and today I, on a whim, said: "what the f**k!" And it was kismet.

They decided to shake up the drink and draw. They had one of the regular waiters come up with a theme for the night. He smiled, quite broadly (oh horrors, an adverb). He came back with three envelopes which they had to choose from. Each had a theme. They chose one and the theme of the night was: A Sasquatch having tea with forest animals.

I had gone prepped to work on my massive rewrite of Stone of Blood. But all the young artists about me had to come up with a sketch based on that idea. So I threw caution to the wind and decided let's see if I can write a short story based on this theme.

Up front, here I was with ten to twelve 25ish old people who jumped at the idea with relish. Who did not care that I was a writer. They sketch their ideas with lines painting a picture while I use words to paint my picture. It has been a while I have felt so energized.

The freaky thing was once I got into this, the story started to unfold. Immediately two rednecks came about with their ATVs, Colts and Winchesters ready. I wrote a couple of paragraphs and then the title came to me: Tea and Crumpets. Oh, British and Americans!

The words flowed. But how do I get the rednecks see the Sasquatch having tea with forest animals. Let's bring in a Native American. But that doesn't fit completely with the British and American theme. Well, a Sasquatch having tea with forest animals is a little weird, sort of fantasy. Something like that would not occur normally.

I was having a cigarette outside the cafe and a lightning bolt hit me: Samhain: the Celtic festival where the veil between our world and the Otherworld is the thinnest. I ran inside and wrote some more.

Mat looked at me and smiled. He knew when I am caught up in that delightful pull of the passion our art demands of us.

In the end, we all left with unfinished pieces but we will all finish what we started. I know what I have started will be done by the weekend.

Yet some will wonder why I am bring this up. Whereas places like this is great to get some interaction, it is long distance and just letters on the screen. Being with all these people had an immediacy. Let me give you an example.

As I was writing the interaction between the Native American and the redneck, Jeb, about the Celtics, he responses to the Native American what does this have basketball? I burst out in laughter. Mat was talking one of the group, Xavier. They looked at me, confused. When I explained what I had just written, they burst into laughter. They loved the idea.

You will see the result of tonight's adventure soon. Yet some may wonder why I am babbling about this to bunch of writers. Simple: what if you could, in your area, get a few artists together for an evening just to interact, focus on a theme and see where it leads.

This can be done in one's kitchen or in a local cafe. Tea and Crumpets most likely ever get published (except for here), but tonight gave me a kick in the pants. Something I needed.

First thing was here I was with a bunch of creative people who wanted to have some fun. The excitement that resulted was contagious. And the dialogue we had was stimulating. The theme was a jump-point which lead to fascinating discussions.

Second thing, the fellowship. Here I was with a set of tables with everyone around half my age. Or less. Yet that wasn't important because they didn't see that. And being around them energized me. I just reminded me that old farts like me need the young pups to be there to keep us honest and passionate.

I am getting to the end of my meanderings. As I left the cafe, I wondered about the idea of Drink and Write. As I said before, be it in a kitchen with cups of coffee or in a cafe or pub, isn't this an interesting way to get the juices flowing? A meeting of local artists, playing with ideas, expressing opinions and showing different viewpoints.

I know, tonight, with some of our discussions, I brought up issues I have with mainstream animated films. My points caused some thought and discussion with these recently graduated kids.

For me, I leave you with this long babbling with the idea this may be something you can start around you. Pull in the young and old. I am so jazzed having spent but a few hours with this kids. I think, for some of us, by doing this gives us a new community to draw from.

And for some of the older farts here, there is so much those young pups can learn from us. Oops, I think my soap box just sagged and collapsed with the weight of my babbling. Peace, as always.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Loekie,

I think some of the greatest works have come from authors and artist of any sort brain storming with other artist.   Imagine Hemmingway sitting around with a bunch of his friends on a yatch, fishing, and just talking about their experiences... boom...old man of the sea is born.   lol.   May not be how it went down, but as writers, we get and give from our experiences.

I have had similar adventures, with artist back in my college days, and they can be very enlightening.   Today, I am still trying to get a writers group together in my area, one dedicated like the Woods, but this proves to be harder than getting my writers fix in the Woods.  My local library does not have anything but workshops and they are hosted by mostly english teachers who have no idea about the publishing world.   My local Barnes and Noble does not have any...none, noda, groups or bulletin boards offering information.   This is where the small mom and pop shops have an advantage over the larger chains, they are willing to host stuff like this.

I did find a local SF&F club that meets at a nearby Sports Bar, but after 2 visits I gave up.   None are writers...or none will admit to it yet.   They bring their books, sit and read while drinking, and an occassional discussion will break out.  

I am still looking for a magical group, to inspire, to learn from, and to share.   Outside the Woods that is..., which to me is already has very  magical members.  8-)

As to age, I know the feeling.   But as you know, its not just what we can teach the younger generation... its also what we can pick up from them.

Good thread, good topic,

Here's to beer and blood and guts, (on pages only)

Nick.