The Writer's Id : Forum : The Writers Id . . .

[reply] [quote]

The Writers Id . . .

17 Years Ago

You are all writers; therefore you are (and should be) adamant readers. So, please, allow me to elaborate . . .

There are traditional authorities within the field of Creative Writing who are oblivious to online writing communities such as ours. Some outright oppose it and scoff at it. Meanwhile, some are finally beginning to get it. There are new graduate degrees being offered with such names as "Creative Writing and New Media" or "Digital Storytelling" who acknowledge and explore the creative and suddenly highly influential storytelling taking place on things like blogs, online journals, networked communities, personal websites and online portfolios, video games, etc. etc. Myself, I am fascinated by the entire transition (or be it evolution?). I admit that I have a huge respect for the tradition of the craft and the recent speed of change tends to scare the hell out of me on a regular basis. My intentions here are sincere, bred of a legitimate love of the age-old human practice of storytelling as well as the passion to write and to write well, to personally understand how the craft itself as well as the author and the reader endure in such changing times, and to perhaps establish and reveal legitimate findings that may draw a curious eye, lift an eyebrow or two, and assist in further understanding of our newfound spaces and voices. To up and coming generations, creative expression within online communities and through online identities are vital. Acceptance, respect, and understanding, especially in academic fields, is urgent.

I am finishing up an MA in Digital Storytelling this summer, having nearly two BA's (one in Fine Arts and one �almost � in English, Creative Writing), and I've pointed myself towards an MFA in Creative Writing. I've researched such things as online dating and social communities, creative online journals, story structure within interactive video games, and (my love) digital poetry. To gather something meaningful about online writing communities seems natural (and like lotso' fun!). I like the thought of combining everything in my studies and future creations: what is written, what is visual, what is interactive . . . When I found Writers Caf�, I told myself, "Here is a place to ask questions."

So, here is a place where I'd like to draw crowds (Tell your friends!) to answer my questions and spark discussions out the whazoo. I want to know how you, online members of Writers Caf�, really feel about your online identity, your sense of self as a writer and member of a wide social community of writers, creative writing in new media, free publishing, reviews, fears and copyright issues, visual enticements, how things such as online research and free online publishing effect your writing habits . . . This list goes on.

I ask that you please join and follow the threads. I will try to post new questions for discussion regularly. Share. Speak. Feel free to post your own questions and perform your own research. Feel free to respond in any way you see fit. We'll have an open-platform (for writers should not have it any other way). I would also like to feature writing, with favor given to essays that address similar topics as well as creative pieces that elaborate on and/or make use of the capabilities of the medium (e.g., visuals, animation, "web style" lingo, add-own-interpretations here . . . ). If I can figure out how we do it, maybe I'll come up with a contest or two! I have found an awesome little caf�/culture. Thank you for letting me in. And thanks for taking the time to read this hideous screen. ::biggrin::

NOTE: I am new to the inner workings of this site and still figuring things out. If you know of ways in which I might attract more members for conversation and exchange, please send your suggestions and honest opinions.