The Writers' Coffeehouse : Forum : Starting a Story

Starting a Story

10 Years Ago

I have story ideas. Loads of them. However, I don't know how to organize it or where to start. Do writers like writing the ending first so they have a finish line to work with? How do writers organize research and find ways to insert it into their works so subtly?

Re: Starting a Story

10 Years Ago

Most of the time when I write a story it just happens. I'll have an idea of a scene, and then I'll write that scene, and it just sort of builds from there. If I really like the story I'm writing, however, I make a skeleton for it. Basically I lay out all my characters, and focus on each on in turn, and fill them out as much as I can. I then make a pretty skimpy story line; it doesn't have to be super detailed to make sense to me, it's just a quick idea spew. I tend to write my stories from the views of several important characters, so when I do a story line it kind of skips around. That sort of planning really is personal though, you'll end up figuring out how you like to plan if you do it enough. After that the story just comes out--when you have a basis idea for each chapter or section of the story, it will flow. 
Something very important that you shouldn't forget--make sure you have your world planned out a bit too. Your characters need a background, and if you don't establish that right of the bat you're going to have a bad time (at least that's how it gets for me). 

So: Character basis, world basis, quick story line. And then you're good to go, and to add on to it as you please. 

10 Years Ago

The other approach is to start writing at the scene level, not necessarily at the beginning, and build up your setting and characters that way. When you figure out your main problem, you can start arranging the scenes around that, and fill in the blanks. If you want, after that, you can rewrite from the beginning so it flows together.

10 Years Ago

Scene Level? Like index card and go in depth?