The Writers' Coffeehouse : Forum : Writing my first novel... HELP..

Writing my first novel... HELP!

5 Years Ago

Happy Wednesday!

Nice to meet you all. I have had this wonderful idea stuck in my mind for a few weeks. Thinking it was just a passing thought, I let it be but I havent been able to get it out of my head so here I am ready to start writing! I have two character sketches so far but have kept changing them.  I could use any advice on starting a novel and how to get going. I really am looking forward to my idea coming to life! 

Thank you! 

Re: Writing my first novel... HELP!

5 Years Ago

Being super new to WriterCafe I first wanted to have a browse around and get familiar with the website layout. Then I came across your post and decided to give it a go! I cannot express enough: just get your story idea on paper! You don't need to keep a fancy journal or anything, but if you don't already have one, find some sort of journal and get that idea down! You mentioned you have character sketches...this is awesome! I do something similar, as well. If you haven't started your novel then ask yourself what are you waiting for?! You just gotta do it. Just gotta write the s**t down on paper. Try your very best not to go back and keep re-reading, just follow the story. If you start at the end, cool. If you start at the middle, cool. If the beginning, very cool. It doesn't matter where you begin with the story...you just need to throw it up on the paper! Only then can the next step happen. Hopefully something here is helpful. Happy writing! -Christina PS: Something that should help you move forward is also trying to discover what your protagonists goal/motivation is..what are they trying to achieve and what is blocking them?