Underground Writers Network : Forum : Challenge of the Week ~ #24

Challenge of the Week ~ #24

17 Years Ago

Hello everyone!

After a failed attempt at getting to the Missouri convention, here I am, back and in full force ;) How are you?

This past week was full of events for me, but one I could not forget even if I was a little late for it, was the celebration of Earth Day. I am sure you all heard about it. It was on April 22nd.

Do you know how Earth Day came to be? Of course, many religions have celebrations to Mother Earth and over the years they�ve developed rituals during certain periods of the year. But what made of Earth Day a national event?

Quote:
Actually, the idea for Earth Day evolved over a period of seven years starting in 1962. For several years, it had been troubling me that the state of our environment was simply a non-issue in the politics of the country. Finally, in November 1962, an idea occurred to me that was, I thought, a virtual cinch to put the environment into the political "limelight" once and for all. The idea was to persuade President Kennedy to give visibility to this issue by going on a national conservation tour. I flew to Washington to discuss the proposal with Attorney General Robert Kennedy, who liked the idea. So did the President. The President began his five-day, eleven-state conservation tour in September 1963. For many reasons the tour did not succeed in putting the issue onto the national political agenda. However, it was the germ of the idea that ultimately flowered into Earth Day.

By Senator Gaylord Nelson, Founder of Earth Day

So what do you say if (even being a little past the date) we put together our efforts to honor Nature�s day in our new challenge.

Write in any style you wish, up to 1000 words, a piece that in some way honors Earth Day or what it means to you.

I hope you enjoy it and have fun! ::cool::

Much love,

Val

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

::mad:: Quickly, come run, the sky is falling
We must find a frind,
To protect us in these final hours,
The world is going to end.
They found the fox who took them in
And eat each one, both soft and brittle
And that is what the animals got
For heeding chicken little.
We seperate our rubbish
To put in coded bins
To save the earth and all amnkind
And commit no envionmental sins.
We give it to the council
Who charge, us and in turn
Ship the rubbish to China

Where on beaches it will burn.
But they will not be OUR carbon emissions
Damaging OUR ozone layer
Thats the Chinese for your
WE did OUR bit, so THERE!

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Here it is, short but sweet.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I tried... ::confused::

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

(Click Here to read mine)

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Already did one for Earth Day. Here it is:

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Some great responses! Your creativity always astounds me, you all keep developing and growing to no end.

If you have pieces to add you still have time until Saturday. In the mean time, all of you are invited to vote/choose your favorite piece/s to be featured next week.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Under rising skies
heaven and blue
aimed a red hot helium
air balloon
scattering up
into the clouds
buzzing like bees
covered in shrouds
and clipped green grass
pokes at her rear
hearing the children
come roaring near
chasing their own
helium balloons
untill big honey dipped marshmallows
fire up soon
all are for singing
none quiting their play
until tired eyes have seen
all of earth day

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Not quite sure this qualifies under Earth Day, but it's all I've got. :)