Wallingford Writers Community : Forum : Getting Published

Getting Published

13 Years Ago

Hi Writers, Dick asked for information on getting his manuscript published. I thought my answer would be of interest to many of you:  
Hi Dick,
I was thinking about your request...did you know that there is a huge volume published every year (Writers Market that has thousands of listings of editors and publishers, complete with directions about how to submit a query to publish your manuscript? You can also access it online at

However, one of the best ways I've found to bypass the query letter and have the opportunity to pitch to an agent or editor directly is by attending a conference in your genre that has agents and editors who are looking for new authors. For example, I believe your genre is crime fiction or thrillers, right? You could attend the International Thriller Writers Conference (Thriller Fest) in NY in July  
There's also Mystery Writers of America   and their conferences, Sisters in Crime --open to guys too--which holds CrimeBake      during the second weekend in Nov. in Boston with direct access to agents and editors) and so on.

It really does help to belong to a national writers organization in your genre because you will have access to all sorts of resources in regard to getting published.

Hope that helps,
KarenL
Please No CSS