War Of The Grimm : Forum : Chapter 2: Red Like Roses

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Red

Chapter 2: Red Like Roses

9 Years Ago

Ciar: As the Bullhead ascended over the mountains, Ciar sat in one of the bay seats processing the mission Jaune had given him. He'd been shocked when his blonde friend had revealed that Ruby was alive and somewhere on Remnant. He'd remember meeting Ruby at Signal shortly before her transfer to Beacon; he had genuinely found her interesting. Of course, that was the last time he'd ever seen her, even after the start of the war with the Grimm. He hadn't realized how long Jaune and his friends had searched for her, although he was glad to help in their search. As Ciar fiddled with Dreikopfdrache, he observed the other bay occupants. Eryn stared out the bay door next to her, watching the landscape below fly by while absent-mindedly fiddling with a bracelet on her wrist. Brenin slept, her ears and tail twitching as she dreamt of something. The final occupant was Norman, something Ciar didn't necessarily approve of. He'd been included on Jaune's orders (which Ciar knew wasn't so much for Norman being included but more for him being a means to an end) and his wounds had been repaired using experimental Dust surgery created by the Schnee Dust Company on Weiss's orders; the Dust had been used to stitch the wounds together then dissipate and be absorb with no side effects in the patient's body. Ciar knew that Norman didn't much want to be there either but only he could lead to what was left of the man's village. Sighing to himself, Ciar turned his attention to the scroll Jaune had given him.

The map programmed into the scroll's GPS gave an image of Norman's village and the surrounding area, including the field that Ruby had supposedly fought in. "First the village, then the field" Ciar thought as he looked over the map. Jaune had explained that Ren had two teams near the area on a search-and-destroy mission, providing the four with potential back-up. Jaune had also included a report about some mysterious masked men seen in the area; seeking out the group and getting surveillance was a secondary objective. Ciar had been so focused on reading the scroll that he didn't hear the shrill whine of a projectile hurtling towards them. "S**t, INCOMING!" "Evade, evade!" The Bullhead's pilots tried desperately to dodge the round but to no avail. The right engine was obliterated in the explosion, loud sirens further reinforcing the loss. Ciar struggled to stay in the craft as the VTOL lurched and began rapidly descending into the forested area below them. "We're not gonna make it!" the co-pilot yelled, frantically flipping all manner of switches, trying to at least ease the crippled bird down. "Brace for impact!" the pilot yelled back, moments before the front end of the Bullhead slammed into the ground. 

"Just my luck, crashing in the middle of nowhere" Ciar thought to himself as he regained conscientiousness. Slowly lifting himself up and checking for any injuries (miraculously, there were none), he began dragging out his comrades away from the wreckage and out into the open air.  Bandaging any injuries and securing what was left of their supplies, Ciar moved to the cockpit to check the pilots. What he saw made his stomach churn. A branch the size of Ciar's arm (presumably from one of the trees they'd hit) had lodged itself in the pilot's chest while the co-pilot's head had been smashed against the instrument panel, his skull crushed. Ciar had seen some gruesome things, his last two team mates getting ripped to shreds by Grimm was one of them, but it never got easier seeing people die brutal deaths. Securing what little he could from their corpses, Ciar moved back to his companions. Eryn and Norman were already up, battered and bruised but up. Brenin was still unconscious, likely a result of being so close to the blown engine. As he began checking her over for any severe injuries, Ciar felt a gust of wind brush past him. Only this wind was not normal. On this wind came a message and the image of a red-and-black cloaked figure. "I'm waiting, Ciar. Can you find what so many have looked for?" The message carried a hint of sorrow and disappointment in its tone, but also something else. Anger. Ciar knew who the message was from and he swore to Dust that he'd take up the challenge.

Re: Chapter 2: Red Like Roses

9 Years Ago

Norman was a little surprised that their transport was destroyed. He knew no one in the village could use a weapon. They were all farmers, perhaps his godmother was up to something. She always one to cause mischief in the most unwanted of times. Having turned his rifle into his staff form he looked the area over. He knew it like the back of his hand. There were roughly a days walk out from the village. There was plenty of streams and game for sustenance and he remembered a cave not too far for shelter. Beginning to scope out the area he silently left the group, unconsciously using his semblance. He was going to secure shelter and food.
Red

9 Years Ago

Ciar: It took nearly an hour for Ciar to realize Norman had left. He had to admit, Norman was pretty good with the whole stealth thing; Ciar had been to busy taking inventory and mending Brenin's wounds to pay attention. Luckily, he'd managed to get the co-ordinates to Norman's village courtesy of Jaune. That wasnt the only thing on Ciar's mind, of course. The strange message on the wind still plagued Ciar. Was it truly Ruby? What did she mean by finding what so many had looked for. It had been years since the search for Ruby by the main people at Beacon had ended. So does that mean someone else was looking for her? And why did she sound so disappointed and angry? Ciar had way more questions then answers at this point. That just meant that Ruby and him would have a lot to talk about. 

Checking the GPS on his scroll, Ciar saw a small clearing with a pond in the centre. "Eryn, look after Brenin. Gonna go check something out" he said as he got up and walked off. What had caught his eye about this particular clearing was the fact that there appeared to be people in the clearing. He wouldn't have seen them if it wasnt for the constantly updating GPS. It took him around forty five minutes to reach the clearing; Ciar scrambled to cover as he heard voices. Peering over the log he'd hidden behind, he saw several men in strange uniforms. To his surprise, the looked almost identical to the old White Fang uniforms with the exception of them being pitch black. The masks fully covered the face, black with red vertical lines where the eyes were. Whoever these guys were, they definitely weren't White Fang. "Hurry up and grab what water you can. The lady is waiting" The order came from who Ciar presumed to be their leader; the others just responded with quiet nods. Ciar watched for several minutes longer as the men went about their business before departing. "Eryn, as soon as Brenin gets up lock onto my scroll and get to my position. I think I found the guys who shot us down" he said as he silently moved to follow. Whoever these guys were, they might lead Ciar to the answers he needed. Maybe even Ruby herself.

9 Years Ago

Norman was casually sitting in a tall tree watching the men. He didn't know them, and they certainly weren't from his village. The men drew closer to the tree line and because of the thick foliage had to walk along a trail in a single file. Norman easily killed the back one, his staff concealed blade went straight through the man's spine with the help of gravity. Not missing a beat, or wasting any momentum, smacked the other in the chin with what could be described as the blades sheath, knocking him out.
Red

9 Years Ago

Ciar: As he had trailed the men through the increasingly thick forest, Ciar had noticed two disappear from the rear. At first he thought they'd simply slowed but he managed to catch a glimpse of a bladed staff. Norman. "So that's where you ran off to" Ciar mumbled under his breath, watching to see whither the rest of the column noticed their missing brothers. To his relief, they didn't. Eventually, Ciar saw them enter a gap in the foliage. Quickly checking his scroll, he realized that they'd entered the vicinity of the village. Looking around to get a better vantage point, Ciar soon found a small hill that gave a good view without too much exposure. Making himself comfortable, Ciar pulled out a pair of binoculars and looked down on the village. What he saw made him cringe.

To say that the village had been hit by a Grimm attack was an understatement. The place had been levelled. Many houses and buildings were nothing more than shattered stone and wood, with those still standing looking like they were very close to falling over. What caught Ciar's eye, however, was the commotion in the village centre. Two jet-black Bullheads were surrounded by men wearing the same uniforms he'd seen earlier. Many of them had firearms; an assortment of both pistols and automatics combined with a few blades held by what Ciar assumed were officers. Focusing on the first Bullhead, Ciar's eyes widened as he saw several prisoners, who he presumed were Norman's fellow villagers, tied up and guarded by two burly looking men with what looked like pike-rifles. Near the other Bullhead, Ciar saw what looked like cases filled with large black canisters; filled with what he wasn't sure. 

Hearing a loud drone, Ciar looked above him and saw yet another dropship approach the area. To his surprise, the new arrival wasn't a Bullhead but a dropship, one of the models used by the Atlesian military. This one was also painted black, but on its fuselage was painted a symbol similar to that of the White Fang, only the image was blood red. "Gotta give them points for originality" Ciar thought sarcastically. He instantly focused once he saw the occupants exit the rear of the craft. The first two were dressed in black, similar to their comrades, but with light armour at various vulnerable points. Their masks looked high-tech, with the same black colouring but with four red lenses extended slightly from the front. Their weapons were the most interesting. They both had scythes, much in the same build as Ruby's only painted black to much their colours. The blades, however, were an eerie snow white that ended up making the weapons look like something out of a nightmare. Behind them, a woman walked out. She seemed to be young, not much older than Ciar. She wore a flowing black cloak with white Eastern floral patterns running down the right side. Her attire appeared to be much more lightweight, with her top exposing her midriff while also being covered by carbon-coloured plating. She wore sleek black pants that ended in hight-heeled boots. Her face was covered by a mask as well, only this one was half-white and half-black with three red slashes running diagonally across the front. She reached up to remove the mask, Ciar's breath held in anticipation. The face that met Ciar made his jaw drop. Long flowing black hair spilled down across the cloak. One eye was straight red while the other was hazel. Purple eye shadow gracefully spread out from under her eyes. Ciar couldn't believe what he was saying. He'd come to find Ruby Rose but instead he'd found another piece of the puzzle that was Team RWBY. Standing below him, commanding a group of darkly dressed figures, was Blake Belladonna herself.  

9 Years Ago

Norman was....... well Norman wasn't sure how he felt at the moment. He was angry certainly, but at the same time he was making plans. "Ill make them pay." He muttered as he wretched his blade out of the one soldier and sheathed it. Looking around he saw the makings of a trap. He could set up a few rudimentary ones with the canisters of various dust he always had on him, but it wouldn't do as much damage as he would want. He didn't care how it looked he was going to kill that woman who he was sure was sure was responsible for this. he prepared his shot using the most amount of dust his weapon could take without damaging itself. With a little help from the Weis company, and the signing away of rights, he was able to make a few elemental bullets. The one he was loading was an explosive round that would..... well explode on contact. He took aim at the woman's center mass and calmed his heart and steadied his breath.
Red

9 Years Ago

Ciar: Ciar watched as Norman fired his musket, to far away to stop him. Of course, he wasnt surprised when Blake disappeared seconds before the round impacted; Ciar was genuinely surprised when the round exploded in a massive ball of fire where Blake had stood. He watched as the black uniformed men scrambled and took cover while the scythe wielders readied their own weapons. Ciar scrambled to look for Blake until he felt a swift breeze drift behind him. "Well, hello there little one" a female voice purred in his ear. "What the fu-" Before Ciar could react, he was grabbed from behind and his stomach dropped out from under him. Next thing he knew, Ciar found himself on the ground in front of Blake and her bodyguards; Norman was on the ground beside him. Looking up, he was met by red and hazel eyes. "So, you would be Ciar yes? Was wondering when you'd show up" Blake purred again. She inspected an item in her hand, which Ciar realized was his scroll. "Jaune sent you here? To find Ruby? How is D'Arc and the rest of them doing? Not too overwhelmed by Grimm, I hope?~" Blake said breathily. She then turned to Norman, her eyes narrowing cat-like. "And you. You survived my little Grimm attack? Guess Ruby knew more than I thought" Ciar's mind tried to process what he'd heard. Blake can control Grimm? She was enemies with Ruby? What the hell had happened to the two of them? Why did her bodyguards use the same weapons the ultimate scythe weilder did? Blake looked at Ciar and just chuckled to herself. "You'll know everything in due time, Katz" That was the last thing he heard before he blacked out. He could have sworn that he heard someone whisper in his ear, someone who wasnt Blake. "Stay strong Ciar. The winds of change are coming. You'll need to stand fast against them"

9 Years Ago

"And she told me about you. I thought she was exaggerating, but considering you can dodge a bullet...." He began before activating his semblance and disappeared from notice. He quickly ran towards his traps, releasing the semblance and holding his chest as he approached the first one. Looking back at the group he ran off, beginning to reload.

9 Years Ago

Eryn: Crap, I can't believe I fell behind" I say catching my breath. I still didn't have the endurance that most huntresses had, meaning my future sense was probably the only reason i was still alive. Up ahead I could hear gunshots and I cursed myself for my slowness. Suddenly the gunfire stopped an i could hear talking close by. Slowly I crept closer keeping opening my aura channels in case of interception. As I did, I could see two blades at neck level in the next two seconds. In one i had my own blade unlocked and in front of me. I could feel the wind leaving my lungs as i smashed into a tree behind me.
"Son of a-" i muttered and launched myself forward. Each moment I took in the coming attacks and narrowly dodged. I ended up in a clearing with a faunas woman and my comrade who was lying unconscious. As she raised her hands to her guards the incoming attacks ceased and I was allowed a moments reprieve from my semblance. Once more I could taste my own blood in my mouth.
"I must say I'm impressed with your team Ciar" the faunas lady said. "They made it much farther than I thought." That's when the world goes dark.
Red

9 Years Ago

Despite what some people might think, Blake found Ciar and his friend's interference amusing. At first she had hoped that they'd died in the crash but now she was rather happy that they didn't; it gave her something to play with. Realizing that she was missing one person, Blake began listening to see where the survivor had run off too; being a Faunus had its advantages. She fazed away just as the musket ball it her dropship, the round sparking off the metal. Even though she had confidence in her abilities, even Blake knew that finding him would be next to impossible. "Light the surrounding forest on fire. If he can't escape the flames then he'll die of the smoke" Blake said to her bodyguards. One of them turned to the man beside him and nodded. The henchman, a large bulky fuel tank on his back, lifted the attached hose and pulled the trigger. Bright flames leapt from the nozzle, covering the trees in front of him. Soon, three more men joined him and began blasting the forest. Blake turned back to board her dropship, glancing at the still tied up villagers beside it. Waving over her other bodyguard, she leaned in close. "Too late to run the test. Get rid of them" The man nodded and lifted his hand to to the men behind the prisoners. In one swift motion, he sliced his hand down through the air, this met with multiple gunshots as the men executed the villagers. As she walked up the ramp, Blake cast one last glance at the unconscious body of Ciar. She just smiled to herself. "Oh Ciar. You have no idea what's going on do you? Soon, that will change. Then, the whole world will burn~" she purred to herself as she sat down and gave the signal to lift off. Just before Blake lost sight of the flaming ground below her, she noticed a flurry of red and black rose petals near the edge of the forest. "So, our little rose has finally showed up~" Blake thought to herself pleasantly. Everything was going perfectly, she decided. Completely perfect.

9 Years Ago

Once again Norman was faced with a choice. He could use an explosive round to bring down Blake's transport, or allow those men burn down his forest it would seem. The thought process was an easy one. As a noble in this country his first priority is to the people. Well his village is burned down, more of his people have just been executed and he didn't see anymore if his people. He said a prayer to his country's God of the dead to Shepard their souls and help them find their eternal resting place before firing on the transport. He knew aiming for center mass was pointless. So he aimed for the propulsion. The explosion was larger than he remembered, but now they didn't have an engine. The flames had spread quickly, and there was nothing he could do to stop it at this point. He found Ciar's gun and shot the fuel tanks in the men's back causing them to explode, killing them. The gods only knew how long it would take for the forest to return to normal, but he couldn't worry about that. He had people to carry, and a shadow controlling soldier to wake up.
Red

9 Years Ago

Blake was genuinely taken by surprise when the craft bucked and a dull boom reverberated throughout the cargo bay. "One of our engines just went out!" the pilot yelled back as he and his co-pilot fought to keep it in the air. As she regained her composure, Blake turned to the shadowy figure across from her. "Would you please?" she asks politely, a small smile on her face. The figure simply outstretches his arm, then flexes. Near instantly, the craft began ascending and stopped shaking. "Thank you" Blake says; no response comes from the figure. Blake looks out the bay window, a wicked smile crossing her face. "You have your trump card, Ruby. I have mine"

9 Years Ago

Norman was expecting an explosion..... He didn't get it. Imagine his surprise when he saw the transport continue to fly away. And he didn't have time to reload because of the forest fire. Quite pissed now he kicked the soldier across the face to wake him and picked up Eryn and began dragging.

8 Years Ago

The world burns red around me,
 a subtle sent breezes past my nose,
 over the smoke.
Roses.

I jolt in Normans arm, startling him. I feel my arm touch something hot. The forest was on fire. Coughing I get to my feet, and look at my two companions. I could sense a great force heading my way, but unable to speak I pointed towards the trees.
Red

8 Years Ago

Ciar: "Ow! S**t!" Ciar jolts awake, courtesy of a swift kick to the face by Norman. "The hell was that for?!" he yells at the stoic man, who just shrugs. Pushing himself up, Ciar finds the surrounding forest in flames, dead villagers, and Blake along with her men nowhere to be found. "Well this is just b-e-a-utiful" Ciar mumbles under his breath, dusting himself off. Ciar jogs after Norman and a recently awoken Eryn, who looked like she'd had a bad dream. Double-checking to make sure he had everything, Ciar pulled out his scroll and selected the number Jaune had given him for Ren, who was in the area. He had no idea where Nora, his other half was, but frankly no one did most of the time. 

"Hello? Ciar, is that you?" Ren's voice crackled through the scroll much to Ciar's relief. "Yeah, its me. Listen, can you pick us up? Our Bullhead got shot down and we're stranded. We'll set up a signal at the crash site so you can meet us" Ciar heard Ren chuckle to himself on the other end. "Yeah, we have a spare Bullhead with us. We'll be there. Anything you want me to relay to Jaune?" Ciar had forgot that Ren's little forward base had direct line to Beacon, a godsend in this case. "Uh, yeah. Tell him we found Blake. Shes...uh...She's not on our side" Ciar was met with silence for several second before finally getting nothing more than an understood. Hanging up the scroll, Ciar turned to Norman and Eryn, who watched him expectantly. "Come on, lets get back to the crash. Ren's gonna meet us there and Brenin's probably waiting for us too"

8 Years Ago

Norman went on a head, marking the path as he went. He quickly found the crash and waited for the others
Red

8 Years Ago

Ciar: Trailing back through the forest, Ciar and Eryn ended up joining Norman at the crash site. Brenin was slumped near the fuselage, fiddling with her weapon. "Good, you're awake. Sorry for leaving you like that, we ran into some...unexpected problems" Ciar told her. This was met by a cocked eyebrow, but thankfully Brenin decided not to pry for now. Pulling out a cylindrical device from his pack, Ciar hit a switch on it's side. The device let off a quick beep and began flashing green and blue. "Alright, there's the tracker. Now we just have to wait for Ren" 

Sure enough, it wasn't long until a Bullhead loaded with Ren and his men approached Ciar's position. Touching down, the squad of Atlesian soldiers spread out as Ren. "Good to see you Ren" Ciar said, reaching out for a handshake. "Good to see you too, my friend. I hope what happened with Blake didn't cause you too much trouble" Ren said, reciprocating the gesture. After helping grab what they could from the site (including the bodies of both pilots), the Bullhead flew back to Beacon Academy. As the craft lifted off, Ciar could have sworn he saw a shower of rose petals in the trees below them; both black and red. "So, you were looking after Brenin and watching us? Thanks" Ciar thought as he looked out the window. He smiled when he swore he heard what sounded like a childish giggle on the wind, along with a "You're welcome" As the craft flew back, Ciar went over everything he had to tell Jaune. He knew right than and there that it was going to be a long week.
(Continued in chapter 3. Reply below to tell me what you think so far and any recommendations or criticisms you guys might have)

8 Years Ago

I'm loving it so far.