Writer's Cafe Mentorship (WCM) : Forum : Toutin' For A Mentor!

Toutin' For A Mentor!

15 Years Ago

Hi all!
I'm brand new to Writers Cafe and this is the first group I've joined, basically because I am in dire need of help. Motivation being the vital ingredient that I need. I'm okay with short stories, but my aspirations lie with novel writing. I'm a planning nerd and the walls of my room are adorned with spider diagrams, post it notes, plot flow charts etc, for 3 main ideas. The sick thing is, as much as these ideas excite me and I love thinking of new elements to add to it, when I actually sit to actually write any of it outside of a planning environment, I freeze. I completely seize up. It's like all train of thought suddenly escapes me and I'm left wondering where to begin, how to begin etc, even though I know exactly how I want my story to flow.

Is anyone out there? I know the last post on this group was a few months ago, I'm hoping I'm not the guy who turns up at a party just as everyone starts to leave.

:)

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Hey Mozer, here's my recommendation, since you already know how to write short stories, pick one of the sticky notes and write it up into a short story. Don't wory about how to integrate it into anything, just write one of those little plot pieces up. In truth a long story is really made up of a bunch of short stories assembled together. So write it in pieces, one short story at a time and then work on putting them together.