Writers Asylum : Forum : writing warmups 1st edition

writing warmups 1st edition

16 Years Ago

"If you were to ask me for a formula for writing, I can simply say, write every day of your life. Write at least a thousand words every day. Write a short story a week. To write every day is to know yourself better and to write better and to relax more, and, in relaxation, become ten times more creative."
--Ray Bradbury

I agree with this quote, though I usually can not follow this, too much stuff do everyday. So I think if you cant afford to sit down and write a lot, then write a little. So i plan on finding some what I would call warm up exercises, just something to make you write, something random even.

random idea #1 The greatest accomplishment either yours or someone else. Ex. the rubber band. Ok I have my anwser, but why is the rubber band the greatest accomplishment in the world?

Well let me tell, one time I was flying over the deep jungles of the amazon, in a small one prop plane. Not the kind where you are actually in a cover cockpit with room to move around, but one of those old models with the open cockpits. I was in the back enjoying myself, all of a sudden I see the pilot's head droop down. We started falling a little, and then a hell of a lot. I paniced, I had never flown before, but i knew you had to keep the stick level. So I knew I had to get to the cockpit and help the pilot and keep us from crashing. So i grabbed my bad to see what I had available to help me in this matter, I grabbed a bad of rubber bands. and a bottle of water. I began my climb out of my seat and started to crawl the space between my seat the pilots. This was no fun feat either, we were headed in a downward position by this time. I reach the forward cockpit and grab the control stick, but i realized I couldnt do that and try to help the pilot. So i level us off, but I cant let go of the stick and I am not all the way in the cockpit. So i take a hand full of the rubber bands, put them around the stick and stretch them to a to the pilots belt buckle. WIth the plan now on a very poor auto pilot I try to revive the pilot. I splash a little water in his face, which went every where, I didnt think about all the wind rushing by us. So this time i put the bottle to his lips and pour a little down his throat. After a couple times of splashing him and letting him drink , he comes to.

Now every time he flies he takes a handfull of rubber bands as back up .

that was long and very random, and I know its probably not the best it could be, but i wrote it in one sitting, of about 5 minutes. So I think something simple like that Is a perfect warm up. Plus you get something totally random. The thing is you must allow yourself maybe 5 minutes to just sit there and do it.

Captain Savage

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

that was one hell of a random a*s story there captain. could use some work , but i defiantly see what you mean with just writing something random.