Writers Gone Wild : Forum : Pick a story you wrote and tel..

Pick a story you wrote and tell us what inspired it

16 Years Ago

I wrote "Rage of Angels" after listening to a religious debate during a down period at work. One of the guys said... "If God is all powerful and all knowing, why did he let Lucifer break away and start the battle? Didn't he see that coming? Couldn't he prevent it?"
To which the girl replied... "Without evil, how would we define good? Of course he knew it would happen. It's part of his plan."
I declined to join the debate, but she made sense so I started writing "Rage" when I got home that night. I took her beliefs to a bit different place than she did, but she liked the story anyway.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I'm gonna pick two, as I'm reworking parts of one and writing another so my mind's kinda split between the two

"The Dying Season." I actually got the inspiration for this one when I did the super flash fiction contest that Shanna set up with the song titles. I took my story "War Inside My Head" and stretched it out to over 6000 words. I had just put my heart and soul into "One Night/In Hell" and though I thought it was well written, it was a very cliched zombie story. I wanted to try and get away fromt he zombie, werewolf, vampire type stories and write something unique, AND something that scared me. To me pyschological thrillers/horror scares me the most. The kind where you think about it after you're done reading and that's when it really starts to scare you. That's what I wanted with "The Dying Season" and that's why I left it so open at the end, but still giving it a definite end. Right now, thanks to several comments by members in this group, I'm reworking parts of it and adding parts to try and make it into my first novella. I'm very proud of this story, as I see it being much more mature than some of my other stories.

"The Mirror" (Temp. Title). I read my first HP Lovecraft story, "The Call of Cthulhu" and LOVED it! I was inspired more by JRR Tolkien than any horror writer, and was VERY intrigued by the part in "The Fellowship of the Rings" when he talks about the Balrog and how he lived in the depths of the earth where time didn't exist, I knew that I'd write a story about ancient evils that lived in the darkest places where time didn't exist. Then I read the Lovecraft story abover and here's ancient evils that live in the darkest places on earth where time forgot. So here I am, writing a story about ancient evils that live in the darks places... You ge the picture. However, I wanted to try something different. I wanted to try and write in a style that wasn't my normal style. Being a HUGE fan of Poe and now a HUGE fan of Lovecraft, I wanted to try to touch their styles. I love how eloquently they write, the long sentences, the imagry, and honestly (and I know a lot of you disagree on this) the lack of dialogue.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

H.P. Lovecraft has about the most unique writing style and atmosphere of any writer ever, outside of maybe Edgar Allan Poe. Every era of his writing is essential reading.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I wrote, "A Taste of Chocolate", for a friend's contest on WC because only one person had entered and I didn't want to leave her hanging. But also because there's a woman my sister works with, and she is obese--heavily so. My sister and I used to go to the gym after she got off work, and one day while I was sitting outside her place of employment waiting for her--reading an anthology called "Prime Evil", and in fact, the story about 4 business men eating a woman during their lunches--I saw the heavy set woman leave and get into her car. I just watched her for a few minutes and I was both amused and saddened by her attempts to get into her car and get situated and leave. She was wearing this sallow purple dress and it waved around her in the breeze. A light rainfall made everything seem worse and all I could think was of, and I know this will seem harsh but it's the truth, a whale in a purple dress. And when I started the story, I knew it was her. I wrote it from first person perspective and I tried to give her some of her dignity back. If you could only hear some of the stories my sister has told me about her. ::cry:: It's really sad.

That's also the story Justin is publishing in his mag, so if you're subscribed to it, check it out. ::cool::

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I'm writing "Smile at Death" about choices I've made in my life and what would have happened if I didn't do what I did. When I started this I was going to make the wrong choice and through my own writing I realized that I couldn't go through with it.

I'm writing Undiagnosed about two amazing women that I know because every time I see them together I am amazed by the strength of their friendship.

Everything else I write because I'll go crazy if I don't