Writers Plus+ : Forum : Does anyone else ever feel &qu..

[reply] [quote]

Does anyone else ever feel "broken?"

17 Years Ago

Does anyone else encounter those times when you have nothing? You write, constantly, but think everything that comes out of your fingers, out of your brain, is garbage, and not in a smut sort of way but, rather, more in the landfill sort of way? You poise a pencil or paintbrush or whatever your visual tool is above a blank paper or canvas and stare into the abyss for what seems like an eternity before putting your tool away and taking a nap.

I'm not talking about blockages that last hours or days, but those which are beginning to look like they will never end.

Do these blockages make you feel broken? Or like the writing that you have devoted so many years of your life to was nothing more than a teaser, that you are Charlie Gordon and that your brillance was never intended to be more than short-lived and you are now regressing back to the place you were before, but no longer remember?
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I felt like this for almost a year... I could write... the only thing I could do to express myself was acting. So I embraced it, and went with the flow. Now I seem to have my muse back, so I'm getting back into the writing again. But, the massive seemingly endless writer's block allowed me to realize that I had other talents, maybe even greater talents.

Sometimes, writer's block is a good thing. It's like a sign that there's something else out there waiting for you. If you think you can't do anything, then find something you can do... that is your true passion.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

wow. it might seem odd, but the only time I can write is when I can't think of anything, because whenever I can think of stuff, it abruptly stops and a new one starts, so when these blockages come, I put my mind in another mindset, usually one with a love in their life, and just write from their point of view instead of my own. It's when I can't do that that I really feel broken.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I can't write unless I'm in a class that inspires me. My Creative Writing class, for example, inspires me. Over the summer (when I didn't take the class) I rarely wrote, and what I did write was horrible! I'm back in the class now, and I've improved my writing greatly and have been really inspired.

I wish I could stay in the class for an extended period of time, but it will have to end sooner or later. I'm not looking foreward to going back to writing usless poems.
::cry::
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Ha ha, I get that way too but I find that if I continue to write I can work my way out of it. I mean, yeah, you think you are writing garbage but it is still writing. I also usually find that if you put the garbage that has been written away and come back to it later, it tends to make sense and maybe it will offer some ideas for good writing. The last thing I ever want to do is to quit writing. I've never heard of a writer who doesn't write.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Casey Mckenzie
I can't write unless I'm in a class that inspires me. My Creative Writing class, for example, inspires me. Over the summer (when I didn't take the class) I rarely wrote, and what I did write was horrible! I'm back in the class now, and I've improved my writing greatly and have been really inspired.

I wish I could stay in the class for an extended period of time, but it will have to end sooner or later. I'm not looking foreward to going back to writing usless poems.
::cry::

I get what you're saying, Casey. I wrote a lot more when I was in school. I don't know necessarily if it was because my classes inspired me, the way you are saying, but the intellectual stimulation definitely helped.

It's like any other kind of exercise, I suppose, the more you do it, the easier it becomes. The more you think the more thoughts come to you. Which is why I keep thinking I want to go back to get my Masters.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I write so much less in school, but I guess that's because none of my classes or teachers reall stimulate me. Or ask me to write anything beyond busywork journals.

Maybe if I was in an actual creative writing class, it would be different. But as it is, I write a lot less when I'm busy with school than when I'm at home with nothing to do.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I found that I used to write quite a bit in my Physics lessons! I have had quite a bit of a dry spell on the writing front though I am now trying to break out of it and just forcing myself to write. I think sometimes you just have to sit down and force yourself to write something down, even if it is garbage, because once you have the skeleton down you can go back and edit the piece later on when you are feeling more creative :D

I hope you are all well

Nate