Writers Plus+ : Forum : eFiction India

[reply] [quote]

eFiction India

11 Years Ago

I have had many questions from you regarding the magazine and I intend to clarify all in this mail.
The prime magazine, eFiction, is produced and circulated in China, Iran, Australia, the UK, Germany and France. The magazine is available online for all at amazon.com. I can mail you a copy if you want to go through it, to see what kind of stories get published.Doug Lance, the Editor In Chief of eFiction, and I have known each other for many years. I met him first in 2001, when we used to write for a site called writerscafe.org. One thing led to another and one day we decided (it look a little convincing J) to launch an India Edition of the magazine and call it eFiction India. And my life changed almost overnight.eFiction India would have short stories, poems, book reviews, interviews and almost everything in between. It is not a blog, so don’t send in a dairy report. I am also trying to get photographers, painters and illustrators involved so that every story would be related to an image(s). Your story would go in with a short bio from you (and would later include pictures as well). As mentioned earlier, all contributors get a free copy of the magazine.All contributions to the Magazine would be done after signing up at this linkLink: FormattingFormatting isn’t make-or-break, but it does put your manuscript ahead of every poorly formatted piece when we first open it. The perfect submission has:·         Contact info in the top left·         Word count in the top right·         Title centered on the page with name (or pen name) underneath·         Standard serif font in about 12 point·         Single spaced·         .RTF, .DOC, or .DOCX format
Rights
eFiction wants non-exclusive publishing rights. This means that previously published work (as long as you hold the rights to it) is OK, and after publication you may publish the work elsewhere. You retain your rights.
Cover LetterWhen you sign up, there is a Cover Letter Box, in this box please write a short bio about yourself (mandatory) and you could also include a very brief summary about the work you’re submitting (optional).If anyone wants offline help/suggestions/opinion please feel free to mail me.Deadline to send the stories for the month of October would be 27th of September 2012.What’s New?1.     EIS Concept: All contributors to the magazine would be added to the eFiction India Staff members (EIS) list (with your permission). All contributions to the magazine would be on an online portal accessed and viewed by EIS. The EIS members would comment and vote for each other’s articles. So you as contributor would not only get to see other people’s work and comment/vote but also see the comments and vote on your article and improve them. You are given an opportunity to improve an article and re-submit (as many times as you like). The one with the maximum votes would be more likely to be in the magazine. If in case your article is not selected in a particular month’s issue then it would considered in the next month. So, we as the community decides what stories make it into the issue, the community revises the pieces, and the community promotes it upon release. The only thing the community doesn't do is manage the website and do layout. I am the lucky one who gets to do those jobs... JNeedless to say this would also enable us to connect and learn from one another. I am open to suggestion and feedback. If anyone has a better idea about the EIS concept let me know.2.     Publication and Distribution: The Magazine would be available online atamazon.com (kindle) and the Barnes and Noble website (Nook). Besides these two I am launching it in Flipkart, Infibeam, Indiaplaza and Dial-a-Book (order on phone). Not only will the magazine be available through more channels, it will also benefit from the discounts and free shipping provided by these stores. I am currently in touch with premier book stores in India like Landmark, Reliance and Crosswords for physical distribution J. Lets see how that turns out. Will Keep you guys updated.
3.     Sub-site: A site for efiction India where all contributors/readers/editors/subscribers related to the magazine register themselves and discuss everything and nothing. The link to the site is 
4.     Chat: The site would have a embedded chat tool (like facebook) where all who are registered in the site can chat/discuss.5.     Online Hangout: I would also like to have a hangout session ( with all the members once a week or twice a month to discuss about the magazine’s progress and generally interact with one another, live. I am open to suggestion.Vision? I envision that this magazines will become not only entertaining places to find short stories from our subcontinent, but also resources to find book reviews, articles about the latest goings-on in the literary circuit here, and interviews with authors about their respective genre. In my dream, the magazine would be the biggest literary magazine from India by Indian Authors. I want our subscribers to be able to peruse each issue and find stories they love, meet authors they want to read, and also be informed about what books are coming out in the near future or who won which award. I want the magazine to be dialed in to the heartbeat of the people. I know we can grow the magazines to that point, especially with your help.  The money that we raise from subscription will be spent on paying the contributors first and foremost. I don't have the cash on hand to pay writers as much as I want to. I don't have the cash on hand to eat a better meal, but that's the price I pay for my passion and I wouldn't want it to change. Anyway, I want to pay writers a professional rate for their work. To do that, we need to raise the funds to launch these magazines. Once the magazines launch, we'll have subscribers who pay us and in turn pay the writers. There's other miscellaneous costs like paying our resident copy editors (who work very hard and are not compensated enough), buying domain names, purchasing rights for magazine covers, and procuring shwag. But the vast majority of the funds will go to writers. As well it should!I am still brainstorming on the various attractive subscription bundles we can have for the magazine. I will write about it in detail on my next email. I hope you help us find funding. We know that you'll enjoy reading literary pieces of your friends and others would read yours each month. Plus, you might find a new author you love. Please help us and spread the word to your bookish friends. I'm sure they'd be happy you let them know! Thank You All!!!  Nikhil Sharda 
Editor – eFiction India
Work: 0124-4002953 
Mob: +919811509144 
Visit us at: