Writers Plus+ : Forum : I was busy writing this when....

[reply] [quote]

I was busy writing this when...

16 Years Ago

... the damn machine crashed, and it was so good too. However, the gist of it was. Thanks for inviting me to be a member. Two of my greatest heroes are the painter RB Kitaj whose work repays scrutiny by anyone into plural energies and the writer Umberto Eco. I had the pleasure of meeting the great man some years ago and I asked him about plural energies having been seeking around for years to find a concept to hang my ideas from. I'm glad to say, he said modestly, that his ideas agreed with mine. There is no real difference between any of the arts. Writing and Drawing for instance, one is temporal the other is spacial; other than that. In both it is necessary to learn the language before you can speak with any authority and from experience. That and the fact that the journey is as important as the destination are the two cornerstones of my aesthetic philosophy.
In my degree show statement some thirty years ago I wrote the following...
A painting like the character should react in many different ways; yet always control the reception it recieves. It should show an awareness for always more, a myriad of opportunities should present themselves.
To ensure full participation the viewer should be given as many leads into a painting as possible and allowed to take themselves through in a way dictated by personal experience. Painting is always a series of on-going questions, never answers.
Of course for painting read, writing, singing, dancing, flower arranging...... Regards and thanks again Ken. www.kenart.co.uk.