Writers Plus+ : Forum : Painters?

[reply] [quote]

Painters?

17 Years Ago

When I do paint, I use acrylics, watercolors, and pen together. (Oil paints take forever to dry and are extremely hard to clean without using harsh substances, as far as I know--someone please tell me of some which are otherwise.)

I create from my imagination and amorphous shapes into which I read with my subconscious (still my imagination)--as, say, Dali did.

I am not prolific as a painter, because I employ the smallest paint brushes in existence, practically--seriously . . . .
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Hey,
I paint occasionally, and I am still learning tecniques. Most of the time, I just do my own thing, mostly abstractish, as in no one has any clue of what it is supposed to be, including me. But I have fun, and that's all that counts, right? Same with my poetry, i have no clue what I am doing when I write, it just ends up with words, the only difference is people can actually usually make sense of it.
S.k.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Howdy. Im a painter..i have a somewhat involved process....

I collage then paint over with acrylics..occasionally oils..somtimes ink jet print, then collage, use water to wash away bits, then glaze..anyway....the trick with oils is (at least the drying period...the brushes still need chems) use a thick glaze or decopage (sp) directly over it creating a shield..it eventually dries underneath..i assume lol

Im very prolific *and* lazy....i dont take pics of everything..so im left with this and that, here and now stuff.

here is a glimpse of my stuffs.

anyway..i have tons of techniques i can share regarding collage, ink jet prints, dig. collage..composition..so on...just pm me if you want

steviejean

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

i paint every now and then...mainly for relaxation. when i do paint i use acrylics. oils are beautiful and many of my favorite paintings are done in oils. however, i have never worked with them. i use a lot of black marker in my paintings because i am a fan of writing on and sometimes over them.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pat
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I tend toward acrylics because they're cheap, readily available, and easy to clean. However, I think oils look better on canvas. I have a Cheyenne friend that makes his own paints from ground stone and such. The color choices are limited, but they are most wonderfully earthy. Has anyone else tried to make their own pigments?
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

while i love the thickness & texture you can get with oils, i just don't have the patience (or the money) to indulge ... someday i'd like to work more with oils ... for now, i use acrylics ... the drying time's what gets me ... i'm not one to work in steps with a plan or a sketch or much of an idea of what will come of a painting when i start ... i just start and see what comes ...
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I don't get to paint nearly as much as I'd like because I have little kids that like to get their hands into things and things all over their hands (ie: my masterpieces), but when I do paint I usually go with acrylics, which gives me a chance to blend colours easier and make a more dynamic picture. It also dries fast of course, which thwarts any attempts at accidental vandalism on the kids' parts. Before the kids came along, I used to work with oils- I used the long drying time as a license to make improvements to the effect I desire. I also love the consistency of the paint which could almost make it a sculpture- you can glop on heaps of it and sculpt it- I like the style of Tom Thomson- you can see how he was thinking when he painted, cuz he used SOOOOO much of it. I have a great vision right now of an oil painting I'd like to do of a river with smeared blues, greys and whites caked on to give the effect of rushing angry water- one day I'll do it, when I find a place to hide it LOL.
In the end- I LOVE the smell of linseed oil and turpentine- to me this is the smell of serious art. It reminds me of when I was little and my mother would paint- the scent of linseed oil would be everywhere. One day I will get this back and I will go nuts with it- but for now I'm staying with the less vulnerable arts of writing and photography. : )
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

The company Corel has a great painting program, called painter x. It has virtually every kind of art media you want to use, including oils. It is fantastic and fun to use, although I havent tried everything it has yet. The oils are a no mess kind of painting and worth the money it costs for the program. Your art that you make can be deleted or you can take and print it out on photo paper. So far I have only used a portion of what it has, but it is endless in what you can create. Try it I guarantee you will love using it.