[reply] [quote]

promoting oneself

17 Years Ago

What do you guys do to promote your work? Do you do things outside
of this website?

I was doing a bunch of somewhat strange stuff because I liked the
idea of putting something creative in the midst of a lot of non-creative
types of advertising.

If you really want to know about it there is a link on my website.
But, largely, it was a waste of time....it was actually fun but I'm
looking to be more direct in my promotion of my writing.

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software
Creative Virtue Press/Telical Books/Regenerative Music

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I post my stuff on websites like Buzznet and myspace, but people are largely very apathetic. It's always up to me to go to people to get their attention. The amount of people in this world that are actually interested in the arts seems very small. It's hard to set yourself apart from everyone else, too. Art is very much an 'elite' form of entertainment and it's only those elite that get noticed. This doesn't stop me from promoting myself though, it actually motivates me to get better at my art.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I have also signed on to a few clubs via the internet by googling poetry, or fantasy, or science fiction clubs. I was able to narrow some down to the area I live, too. For example, a search engine of "sci-fi clubs, Texas, put me in touch with both a club near where I live, and a group forum where I can mention my works.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Carey Borgens
I have also signed on to a few clubs via the internet by googling poetry, or fantasy, or science fiction clubs. I was able to narrow some down to the area I live, too. For example, a search engine of "sci-fi clubs, Texas, put me in touch with both a club near where I live, and a group forum where I can mention my works.

That sounds like a great idea, Carey. Had never thought of doing anything like that.

I have a MySpace page for my book, and a website for my writing in general. I am also on a few other writing workshop communities online and promote myself there. It's been an internal struggle to reach out and really promote my book to people outside of my friends and family. This is my child I am sending out into the world and it's a little scary to push it.