Writers Unite! : Forum : Setting

Setting

12 Years Ago

This is the same idea as the character thread. Here, we'll share tips about how to make the reader feel like they are in your story, wherever it takes place. Or even for creating your own world, like in fantasy.

Again, I'll start: If you are creating a world, it needs life. Not just your main characters, there has to be at least an anonymous population. Not just people either, creatures. We have the birds and the bees, what does your world have?

Re: Setting

12 Years Ago

In my stories Earth is basically the neutral world/realm where anyone can live in relative peace.  That being said my main characters are a exiled grim reaper (once human), a fainting teenage dragon (usually in hybrid form), a human with a demonic curse (has another soul/being sealed within him), and a very confused young woman (more or less 'human').  The realms are sorted out to different things such as "A dream world where things are way too realistic", "a goody two shoes realm(s)", and "kick butt take names realm(s)"  Each realm has it's own population, countries, and races there.  Some are mostly hybrids while others could be the stereotypical vampire and incubus/succubus etc.

Overall it depends on your story.  Is it urban fantasy or realistic fiction?  One place or race does not belong in various situations.  Then again if you do enough research you can find out how to possibly make it work.

The story's main base of operations is in Ranceford, California.  While I did make up the city's name the rest just falls into place.  I hope this helps.

Re: Setting

12 Years Ago

I think to have a believable setting, you have to have your characters interact believably and consistently within it and with it. It can be incredibly fantastical, but if your characters talk about it casually and use it in logical ways, it can be believable.