Rosa and Valentino

Rosa and Valentino

A Story by Ronald Burkins

The small pink house sat on the outskirts of Rose City, Texas near the end Corrazon Street.  In the driveway sat an older model Chevy.  Its faded blue paint hadn’t been through the car wash in years, let alone had a wax job.  The grass in the yard hadn’t been mowed in the recent days, evident by the small gray plastic toy elephant that was barely visible near the scrubby looking palm tree that was struggling to survive.


She sat in the corner of the front bedroom, peering through the sheers that covered the window.  The prettiest girl in town, her long ebony black hair draped over her shoulders, and as she looked out the window, she twirled the ends of her hair in her right hand, while the cherry red sucker met her lips. Rosa Rojas was waiting.  He should have been here by now.  He would not disappoint her, she knew he wouldn’t.  The game should have been over by now, and his bright red Ford should be cruising down Corrazon Street any second now.  She glanced at her watch.  Ten minutes past the hour now.  He was never late.  She could feel her stomach tense beneath her favorite white short sleeved blouse that was neatly tucked into her favorite jeans. The scent of Passion still lingered on her shoulders.   She wanted to pace back and forth, but instead was content to twirl the sucker in her mouth and wait for him.


On the other side of town, the handsome, muscular, young man finished the game that took longer than even he anticipated.  It was his last second goal that sent the game into overtime, and his quick agile moves that replicated the tying goal to win it for the team.  Valentino Diaz was mobbed by his teammates, and they carried him off the field.  Looking at his watch, he knew he would not be on time.  He still had to shower, stop by the store, and go to her house.  Finally breaking away from his teammates, he got in his Ford, and raced down Main Street to his home on Angela Street.  He showered, dressed in his favorite Longhorn shirt and jeans, combed back his jet black hair, sprayed some Eternity on his neck " her favorite " and headed out the door.  Racing quickly back down Main, he stopped in at Amor’s card shop, where he bought the best card and a single deep red rose, with a scent so passionate and strong that the entire checkout area was engrossed in its fragrance. 


Now she was getting nervous.  Should she call him? No.  He was never this late, but she knew there must be a reason.  In the distance, she heard the wailing of sirens.  Her heart sank.  She just knew it. They were getting closer.  What if?  No, don’t think that.  God would not do that to her, he would not punish her and take him away.  The fear in her turned to flight, and with her heart beating almost out her chest, she found herself running down the sidewalk to the sound of the fire truck and rescue squad she knew was heading this way.


Getting back in the Ford, he lowered the window, the music turned up now.  Being late was not acceptable.  He pulled back on out Main, and headed towards her Corrazon Street.  But the car in front would not cooperate.  The anger in him burned bright red as he tried in vain to pass, but the little old lady respectable in her years, drove under the limit.  Finally, a chance to pass.  The engine in the car sprung to life as he pushed the accelerator to its limits.  Passing the old lady’s Buick and the viejito in the old Dodge pick-up truck, he sped closer to the only stoplight in town. Red.  It should turn green any second.  He coasted instead of braking, and as soon as the light turned, he’d blast through and would be just a few blocks from Rosa. 


The semi driver knew he’d never be able to stop.  The load of pipes would be sprayed all over the intersection if he stopped for the light.  Accelerating, the diesel gained momentum and black smoke poured out the stacks. 

The split second in time defined the difference between life and death.  The impact shattered glass, fenders, hoods, and the crumpled carcass lay in the street leaking oil and gas and antifreeze, steaming an eerie creeping cloud of chemicals that crawled across the pavement.  The contents of the car were scattered across the intersection like leaves in the wind along with the pipes from the truck that had been thrown around like a box of toothpicks that had been tossed on the floor.  People now gathered around as cars stopped and everyone tried frantically to do what they could.  Sirens finally were blaring in the distance. Help was on the way. 


As she continued to run down Corrazon Street, she saw the mangled carcasses in the middle of the street.  Tears began to stream down her face as she got closer.  She knew it would end this way.  He always drove too fast, took too many chances.  Her parents warned her, and now their fears were her fear, and she thought how could you do this to me, ruin this day, this beautiful 14th day of February?    

© 2014 Ronald Burkins


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Inspired by my son's 6th grade Valentine's Day writing assignment, this story came quickly to mind. Anyone care to guess the ending?

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
1 Review
Added on January 28, 2014
Last Updated on January 28, 2014

Author

Ronald Burkins
Ronald Burkins

Rockford, IL



About
I'm a 51 year old husband and father of 3 boys who has known all along that he likes to write. It wasn't until I could no longer contain the stories I've had in my mind that I finally decided to star.. more..

Writing