WRAPPED

WRAPPED

A Story by Zeek4
"

Life advice

"
I have been fortunate to have river rafted on several occasions.  In the past, I have rafted the Rogue River twice, South Fork of the American River, and spent two weeks rafting the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.  Rivers have been used as metaphors for many things, but the most common analogy is rivers symbolizing life.  
 
There are many terms used by rafting guides to describe situations on the river, for example, being “maytaged” is when you get caught in churning water behind a rock and can’t get out.  You simply roll over and over like being in a washing machine.  This situation can most certainly cause your demise if you can’t manage to free yourself.  Rafting on a river tends to be a rather philosophical experience.  
 

One of the terms rafters use is “wrapped.”  Wrapped is when a raft becomes folded around the upstream side of a boulder and water pressure is pushing down on the raft keeping it pressed unbelievable tight against the rock.  It is very difficult to free a wrapped raft.  Sometimes these rafts are so constricted against the rock by water pressure and are in such a precarious spot, that they are all but impossible to remove and are left abandoned on the river.
A good guide would attempt all possible methods to remove a wrapped raft.  One reason for this extreme effort is because the rafts are expensive; however, the most fundamental reason is out of respect for the river.
 
People can also become “wrapped” while navigating the river of life.  Life’s river can also be littered with boulders that come in many forms: frustration, pain, sickness, hopelessness, fear, anger, and so on.  A person, like a raft, can become pinned to one of life’s boulders and the ever-moving pressures of life’s river can keep them pinned down.  When truly “wrapped” no escape is possible without help.
 
River guides have many methods of extricating wrapped rafts.  All methods involve commitment and a good understanding of the hydrological effects of the river.  There is an element of risk while working on the river, so courage is one of the essential elements in unwrapping a wrapped raft.
 
The “unwrappers” of people (friends, doctors, counselors, clergy, physiologist) also need to have a good understanding of the river of life and the many hazards that can lurk below the surface unseen.  There are eddies where calm safety can be found; there are holes where someone can get sucked down and held.
 
Unlike inanimate raft, “wrapped” people can assist in their own rescue.   Rafts cannot put out a hand to help themselves, a person can.  A person, not matter how severely “wrapped,” has resources to expend as long as they are alive.  The key to staying alive is to assist in the rescue and put out a hand.

© 2016 Zeek4


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hey Zeek, long time no see.... this is writing 5X5 and squared at the corners. You've expressed information and clear insight to use experience to improve your life. Good stuff buddy.

Posted 8 Years Ago


' When truly “wrapped” no escape is possible without help. '

What an interesting analogy is rafting to life, zeek4! Not only have you taught me rafting terms and explained their reasons for being, you've highlighted their pros and cons within what can be a hard, hard journey.. As to the logic of helping self, that for me - was and is something to always remember. Thank you so much for sharing - tis good to read you again.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 24, 2015
Last Updated on June 21, 2016

Author

Zeek4
Zeek4

San Diego, CA



Writing
MARK AND I MARK AND I

A Story by Zeek4


REBIRTH REBIRTH

A Poem by Zeek4



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Days Of Dust Days Of Dust

A Poem by LJW


SMALL MIRACLES SMALL MIRACLES

A Story by Zeek4


IPHONE IPHONE

A Story by Zeek4