A SAINT

A SAINT

A Story by Zeek4
"

This is about one of the most special people I ever knew.

"

I’m not a pope or much of an organized religion believer, but I do know a saint when I see one, and Pastor Fred Bradley is one. Fred was the dictionary definition of nonjudgmental. Here was a man that one could speak to from the heart without the slightest fear of disapproval. As he saw it, he was there to listening and to give advice only when asked. Fred had none of the missionary zeal exhibited buy some religious figures. There was no fire and brimstone, and the fear of roasting in hell for eternity if you did not accept the doctrine of his church. When I told him I was more of a Buddhist than a Christian, he didn’t even blink an eye.

 

Fred exhibited what I consider the most important precept of the Christian religion: love your neighbor as thyself. This was how Fred lived his entire life. He came from good stock. His mother was killed saving someone else from being hit by a car when Fred was a kid. At his memorial service, many of Fred’s childhood friends told stories about this dear man.  The character he showed as a man was the same character he exhibited as a child. One word, “kindness.” 

 

It happened at the funeral of a close friend, Woody. Fred and Woody had been friends for many years. Everyone knew that Fred would preside over the funeral, even though he had been retired for several years. Fred spoke gentle, reassuring words to the grieving congregation. It was so good to see him up there once again speaking to his flock, bathing them once more in his aurora of saintly love and kindness. Immediately after the service Fred slipped off to a back office, and there had a massive heart attack and died. It was a fitting death for this amazing man. He died in the church he loved, and as usual, he died giving to others.

 

What Fred received from the people in this life was love. This man was loved. I can think of no finer gift to receive than unconditional love and Fred received it in abundance. When you were in Fred’s presence you knew you were around someone special. He stood out from the pack. He was a saint.

© 2016 Zeek4


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Amazing man and an amazing eulogy to him. We should all have a "Fred" in our lives. We would be much richer for it. I love reading the first posts of authors on this sight. It is so telling of their nature and style. Shelly Holt-Lowery suggested I look you up and I am glad I did...I will be back...

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
1 Review
Added on December 16, 2010
Last Updated on June 17, 2016

Author

Zeek4
Zeek4

San Diego, CA



Writing
MARK AND I MARK AND I

A Story by Zeek4


REBIRTH REBIRTH

A Poem by Zeek4