ESCAPE

ESCAPE

A Story by Zeek4

Keoki, like his father and his father’s father, had always lived on the island.  No one had ever heard of anyone leaving except of course the fisherman who set out before sunrise and returned at sunset every day.  Sometimes they would leave and never return.

 

Need was unknown to the island’s inhabitants for nature provided well.  The dense jungle penetrated deep into the interior, yielding a bounty of fruits and vegetables, making cultivation unnecessary.  Jutting from the jungle floor stood magnificent volcanic peaks that were relatively void of vegetation, but abound with goats and wild pigs, easy victims to an experienced hunter.  Daily downpours created an abundance of fresh water that flushed over fields of volcanic ash and collected in pristine pools deep within the jungle.  White, glimmering beaches circumscribed the entire island, and shouts of children could always be heard as they played the games of their ancestors in the warm tropical air.

 

Dimly visible, far out past the beaches and the smooth aqua blue water of the lagoon, lay a barrier reef with a white halo of spray created by the constantly pounding sea.  The reef surrounded the entire island; at only one point could a small vessel pass, and then only at certain times depending on the tide.  Built by the gods, as was told by the elders of the village, the reef protected the island from the unknown dangers that lived in the immeasurable world without.

 

Keoki and his brother Kapenna, following the traditions of the village, were fishermen as their father had been.  While Keoki was still a small boy his father had gone out far beyond the reef and never returned; all that was every found was his outrigger aimlessly bobbing in the hazy fog of the open sea.  Although Keoki was very young, he could remember the old men sitting on their grass mats quietly murmuring about the evil beyond the reef.  Keoki was anxious to explore the waters of his father’s disappearance.

 

There was only Keoki and Kapenna.  Keoki’s mother had died while birthing him.  Being the oldest and big as a bull, Kapenna was the boss; their father had wanted it that way.  The two brothers loved each other deeply.  It was in their eyes as they laughed while pulling in a heavily laden net, or as their sweating hands together scraped barnacles off their boat.  In the village, the people knew of the bond between Keoki and Kapenna.  It was a union strengthened by the fear and danger they faced daily in the unpredictable waters beyond the reef.

 

Despite Keoki’s primitive surroundings, he was an intelligent young man and had a thirst for new ideas and new places.  He was restless. Far out at sea Keoki and his brother would occasionally see large ships from over the horizon.  Keoki feared these men; yet, they and the strange words they would yell out in their native tongue intrigued him.  He heard rumors of their peculiar custom of having a special breed of man whose sole purpose was caring for others.  This to Keoki was unimaginable and odd.  The men would beckon the brothers to come aboard their vessel, but Kapenna sensed danger and warned his brother not to trust these strange, alien men.

 

Gradually thoughts of far-off lands and the wondrous things to be discovered there began to consume Keoki.  He was becoming extremely restless and irritable.  Often Keoki would take long walks to the giant peaks in the center of the island.  From this vantage point, he could see the enormous expanse of the open ocean, and would wonder about all the many possibilities that lay out in the world beyond his small island.  He could see the lush green jungle treetops skirted by a brilliant thread of white sand beach, and far out beyond the treacherous reef nothing but the beckoning horizon.

 

The people of the village could see the ugly metamorphosis that was eating away at Keoki’s spirit.  Kapenna and his troubled brother no longer took pleasure in being   together; instead, there was constant arguing and at times bitter fights.  Keoki’s uncontrollable desire to wander was absolutely forbidden to him by his older brother.  Tapping into his primitive intuition, Kapenna felt that there was something evil about the men in the large boats.  They seemed to be without feeling, without souls.

 

Finally, Keoki became desperate.  The encircling reef was like a rope around his neck that every day seemed to be tightening.  He knew he must escape the island.  The distant curvature of the horizon created a delicious lure that was driving Keoki mad.  He had made one last attempt to persuade his brother to let him go but to no avail.  It had ended in a savage fight between not two brothers, but now archenemies.  Only after Kapenna smashed his clenched fist brutally against the back of Keoki’s head did the savage confrontation end.  Keoki, bleeding, and sore, now realized that he needed to take matters into his own hands.  Despite any consequences, Keoki decided he would take the boat and attempt to find the large ships beyond the reef.

 

The plan had to be perfect, no flaws, no mistakes, absolutely perfect.  He would leave just after sunset when his brother went into the village for supplies and to drink the evil liquid that caused men to become crazy.  Next, he would paddle out to the reef and wait until the tide was right, and from there to the large boats and the strange new world that lay beyond.

 

As Keoki stealthily crept down to the white sand beach he could hear but one sound, the sea ferociously tearing at the encircling reef.  In no time at all he had silently slipped away from shore and quietly paddled to the center of the lagoon.  No sound, no trouble, perfect.  Gliding across the passive waters, Keoki was happy and confident.  While waiting for the tide to rise, Keoki decided to drink the powerful liquor contained in emptied coconut shells.  The intoxicating drink always seemed to give Keoki more courage, and audacity was now what he needed.  Feeling bold and free at last from his brother’s influence, Keoki drank far more than he had ever done, and soon was reeling from the effects of the intoxicating drink.

 

While searching his outrigger for more, Keoki pulled a woven mat off where he and his brother stored supplies.  To his shock and amazement, his brother Kapenna was passed out on the bottom of the skiff, where he apparently had found refuge after imbibing in large quantities of drink.  In utter shock, Keoki stared at his brother.  He didn’t know what to do.  It was perfect, everything was perfect, and yet, there was Kapenna laid out on the floor of the boat like a dead fish.  Baffled, Keoki leaned against the side of the boat, his mind enraged and reeling in an alcohol induced stupor.  A million thoughts were coursing through his mind as Keoki began to loose touch with reality.   The new land, large boats, the jagged volcanic peaks, his perfect plan, the strangling reef, and now this huge fish, what should he do?

 

His mind began spinning out of control.  A combination of disbelief and rage was consuming him.  Keoki’s unconscious brother was no longer a man, but a giant fish that needed to be cleaned.  Next, to his brother was the long knife the men on the large ships had given them trying to entice them onboard.  He looked at the long rusty blade, the same blade that had decapitated a thousand fish.  The blood and entrails stained its rusted edge.  Keoki knelt down and beheaded the helpless fish that now convulsed on the floor of the boat, sacred blood soaking the woven mat.

 

Keoki only needed to wait for the tide to peak.  He thought to himself how his brother would find the boat empty bobbing in the waves.  Empty except for the huge fish and head that was now rocking rhythmically back and forth as the boat pitched, open eyes staring blindly into the night sky. Keoki thought, “Oh what a fine fish.  Kapenna will be happy, and not so angry with Keoki for leaving.”

 

The tide soon changed and Keoki expertly maneuvered through the reef into the beckoning dark blue sea.  As dawn approached he spotted a large ship.  It was the craft of the men beyond the horizon.  Warily Keoki approached, both fearful and excited.  The men welcomed him hardily, and Keoki was very happy.  He climbed the ship’s ladder and firmly placed his strong, black hand into that of his new fair skinned master.

© 2016 Zeek4


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Zeeke. When did you morph into this writer who held such a weighty pen? You came here with surfing stories. This piece is wonderful. (Not even CLOSE to the right word). I am currently looking for anything which will inspire me to write from outside of myself. And here is this piece. Telling me... Keep working toward that end. Inspiring my friend. A beautifully written piece of literature... And the friend who penned it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMF
This is a classic story Man. Incredible in its intricacy, meanings and theme's. Simply as good as it gets. The scope of it alone is truley epic, and the ending... My Gods... So much power in two lines. Superb. I am running out of words to praise it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Where did you get the idea for this from?? I can't imagine dreaming something this epic, yet this exotic up. I think the actual story has a simple charm, its underlying message like an ancient fable, but then sharply drawn to reality as the shadow of imperialism stalks the tale. The way it is written suggests it could be told orally, which fits well with your setting. The clashing of a personal story with a historical one is done so beautifully, they collide naturally.

far out past the beaches and the smooth aqua blue water of the lagoon, lay a barrier reef with a white halo of spray created by the constantly pounding sea.

your descriptions are so rich, this is very well written. Must be a new favourite.

Posted 12 Years Ago


OH MY, what an ending and not at all what I expected .. the word 'master' screams its meaning!

This is a tale phrased in a way that the reader feels as if she's been taken back and back in time; it's myth-like and mysterious, displays emotions turning from love to hatred to murder and set in a place that's wonderfully described, 'Dimly visible, far out past the beaches and the smooth aqua blue water of the lagoon, lay a barrier reef with a white halo of spray created by the constantly pounding sea. The reef surrounded the entire island; at only one point could a small vessel pass, and then only at certain times depending on the tide. Built by the gods, as was told by the elders of the village, the reef protected the island from the unknown dangers that lived in the immeasurable world without.'

Seems Keoki followed his father's path and with his brother's death, their line finished - tragic. Yet another example of how desire for differences can turn out disastrously. How sad, the brothers' life and place seemed so beautiful. Very much a case of the 'grass is greener ..

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

526 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 30, 2012
Last Updated on June 15, 2016

Author

Zeek4
Zeek4

San Diego, CA



Writing
MARK AND I MARK AND I

A Story by Zeek4


REBIRTH REBIRTH

A Poem by Zeek4



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..