The Short Celebrity Life of Nora Legend

The Short Celebrity Life of Nora Legend

A Story by Audrey
"

Not everyone believes in psychics and fortune tellers. Here lies a story of one skeptic that learns the hard way, not all of them are frauds.

"
Nora Legend became a celebrity almost overnight when she predicted the great snowstorm of the south, in a region that never sees weather activity as such. The weatherman from that said region acknowledged and confirmed her prediction on live tv and warned the people of the town it would most greatly affect, to take caution.

After that, Nora became very busy. Police departments reached out to her to acquire her assistance in solving active cases along with cold ones. At home she received a lot of visitors from people seeking her help. Nora was very kind and gracious about how she dealt with the general fickle public but reminded them "the truth is never kind, it just exists".


Then came the day Cesar Ray, a prominent figure in the business world with a heavy Southern drawl when he spoke, publicly attacked Nora's character on tv time and countless time again, calling her a fraud. From the comfort of her home, she shook her head and snapped off the tv. She knew to expect a visit from him, soon. 


Nora didn't have to wait long for Cesar to make an appearance at her door. He did not come for a reading, that was obvious from the snide comments he made towards her every moment he could seize. But with patience and undeserved kindness, she served him well, inviting him to sit in her meditation room with her, where she did her readings.


"Tell me, Ms. Legend" Cesar began taking on a haughty air about him as he took a seat across from her at a small round table. "Where are all your theatric props? This room looks much to plain for a woman who practices witchy woo-woo for a living" he said laughing. 


Inside herself, she rolled her eyes at him, but she contained herself and smiled instead. Clearly he was enjoying himself at her expense. She looked around her little room which only consisted of a table and two chairs and heavy dark curtains to block the 3 o'clock sunlight and heat from coming in thru the only window in the room. and in front of this one window sat a 3 drawer dresser where she kept her supplies: candles, a lighter, stones and crystals, 4 different card decks, incense and fresh table linen to change out. She liked her room, it wasn't too fancy a showing.


"I'm sorry Mr. Ray, I don't quite understand when you use the term theatric props? Were you expecting a crystal ball sitting in the middle of the table? Or maybe some hydraulic lift to levitate the table for shock value? Is that what you meant?" she asked "the room is just fine, try not to let it bother you".


Folding his arms before him, he sat back in his seat and simply answered yes with a sneer playing upon his lips, seemingly unconvinced. 


"Oh, I've no need for all that, Mr. Ray", she continued "that's only on television. Surely a man of your intelligence, doesn't believe in everything shown on tv?"


"No, I don't missy, but do these things not go hand in hand for your side show?"


"Touche' Mr. Ray, again... only for tv. So how may I help you. sir? You've clearly come along way to see me. Surely it isn't just to rub your disdain for me in my face?"


"I'm a skeptic, Ms. Legend" he began.


"Yes, I'm fully aware, so again, why are you here?" she asked. Her relaxed nature bothered Cesar greatly. 


"Well I'd like for you to make a believer of me. Tell me something I can use going forth from here", he replied.


"I cannot do that, when you've already made up your mind against me" she countered.


"Awe, come now Ms. Legend, entice me, sway me, amaze me" he then leaned forward across the table to touch her nose with his and say "humor me and hit me with your best shot".


"Hmm, stay right there" she said pushing her chair back to stand. "I have a special deck of cards to use for our time together. These here, simply won't do" she said as she picked up the deck of cards she had originally pulled out from the dresser and replaced them with some black cards with gold trim. She shuffled the cards once she sat down and asked him to part them in 3 sections. Before he could question, she supplied an answer "It's how I do things, Mr. Ray. Now tell me what is it specifically you have a question about?"


Cesar explained to her about some new stocks he invested in and wanted to know if it had been a wise or risky choice to get involved in. Nora laid down card after card from each of the 3 decks forming an upside down pyramid from her view. Examining the cards quietly and carefully, she measured her words before she spoke.

 "Well, I'm not quite sure why you came to me for help when you seem to know what you're doing, being wealthy and successful in all your dealings".


"Ms. Legend I just want you to confirm for me what I already know. As I said before, humor me if you will". What she read in the cards only spelled disaster for him. But would he accept these facts?


"I'm sorry, Mr. Ray, I cannot confirm what you want. Matter of fact, I must dissuade you from this foolhardy venture with this company" she explained while she still studied the cards.


"Ms. Legend, are you aware of just who I am?" he asked becoming annoyed with her. How dare she cross him and tell him his business. Nora had just about reached her summit of patience for this snotty man. He sat back in his seat watching her face that was devoid of any emotion.


 Oh she's good, he thought to himself.


"Just what exactly are your little designer cards telling you about me, little Missy" he asked "and may I ask you a personal question?"


She gathered up her cards off the table into one stack, reshuffled them, kissed them then set them down in front of her. Cesar stared at her oddly but waited for her to answer .


"Sure, go ahead. Just so you know, this one question is for free, so fire away" she replied with a toothy grin.


Clearing his throat he said "Just how long do you see yourself doing this...playing this game with people?'' he began as he waved his hand in the air to dismiss something "this charad, stealing good people's money and just telling them what they wanna hear? What does your own forchoon tell you? If you're a genuine psychic, surely you must know what's coming to you, raaaight?" he asked.


Nora tried not to laugh at him, it seemed very evident to her, his accent got more deeper the more irritated he became with her. 


"Mr. Ray, I don't do this to play games or cheat innocent people. I try to help them and I will continue to do so for as long as I can. I cannot determine what my own future will hold, it's really not my place to know. Reading the cards just don't work that way, not for me".


"Well, it's really not your place to be telling other people theirs either, now is it?" he fired back.


"Point taken, but they still come to me. I only read to them what the cards show me, it's really up to them to decide how much of what I tell them resonates with them, and they will take from it what they will. Just as you will, I'm sure of it. Now if you would be so kind as to see yourself out, I have another appointment coming thru very soon" she lied. Nora was done trying to be nice, and just wanted to expel his negative energy from her room and off of herself.


He yawned and stretched in his seat. He seemed to her in the most comical sense, the cat Lucifer from Cinderella.  She stood up pulling back the curtain she used in the doorway to divide her meditation room from her waiting room. She turned to wait for him to stand. He stayed watching her, then slowly pulled his wallet from his back pocket of his slacks, and pulled a 20 dollar bill and tossed it on the table like it was trash.


"I will end you, Ms. Legend" he said as he slowly stood and walked up to her.


"Not before your world collapses before you, and everything you've built, Mr. Ray. That I promise you without reading cards. You want more proof?" she asked directly challenging him. She held up to his face the Death card. " There it is, framed in gold for you. Take from it what you will. Now see yourself out" she added.


Cesar snatched the card from her and stomped off opening the front door. Turning to take one last glance her way, his intent to scare her, said "You watch your back, Ms. Legend. Your last name will be all that remains of you".


"Oh you watch yourself as well, Mr. Ray, good day to you" she replied as she slammed the door on his back. 

*************

It didn't take too long after that, when she had two hits on her life, courtesy of Cesar Ray: both unsuccessful in their attempts. She eventually succumbed to a health illness that took her life rather quickly.

Then a year later, all of Mr. Cesar Ray's stocks took a hard hit in the biggest stock market crash to date, leaving him destitute. 


Then later on that year, the world experienced a traumatic occurrence. An earthquake that shook the core of it, cracked the ground apart and caused a deep rift for thousands of miles. A rift that claimed the life of only one single solitary human : Mr. Cesar Ray, who fell in to the crack, while the rest of the world survived and continued on.

© 2023 Audrey


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

44 Views
Added on November 15, 2023
Last Updated on November 15, 2023
Tags: karma, predictions, tarot

Author

Audrey
Audrey

About
I am a hobby writer, here only to entertain with my tales and read others. more..

Writing