Little Torret

Little Torret

A Story by Train
"

A play on

"

This will be the death of me. Of course, I don’t know that but I’m trying to be creative here. So I went to my uncle’s house yesterday. The first thing he noticed besides my presence was a thin book: “Lady Windermere’s fan” by Oscar Wilde I held by my side.

You still reading that book,” he said to me while trying to look away, “

it’s been two weeks now”.”

“Yeah sorry,” was the only thing I could think of saying. I usually stash the bigger books at home and read them when I get there, but that wasn’t the point. The point was that my uncle wanted to know whether I was really as slow at reading as he thought I was and true enough I am pretty slow. This was a portable book I could take with me wherever. Call it a hobby or a decoration.  Either way, it wasn’t something my uncle wanted to hear.

So, really that was the perfect signature for a death sentence in a homely conversation. I couldn’t continue my banter after the thoughtful pause that my apology punctured into the atmosphere. And my uncle, seeming to have lost interest in anything I said, just stood there staring away from me.

“How is Ramadan going on with you?” I asked and was cut short. I knew it wasn’t the appropriate thing to say for to question a superior was taboo in the family. He didn't mind, though. In fact, he didn’t mind at all. He just walked away.

According to Dickens, it were a loss to consider oneself inferior at the prospect of another’s family. So in that sense I didn’t lose anything. I’m just stuck at zero. A pretty thing it would be though, if only the conversation went on like in normal open-minded households, a +1 merit could have been added to that  or the zero wouldn’t have been so convincing or would have lost its poignancy overall.

 

© 2014 Train


Author's Note

Train
Well, it's been a long tome since I last wrote.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is beautiful... it taunts me because it is floating yet you do an amazing job of interjecting JUST enough context... really enjoyed this! Nicely done:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Train

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reviewing my piece :D
Chaselyn

9 Years Ago

Of course! I liked it so much I added it to my library to revisit:)
Train

9 Years Ago

I'm glad you like it :P

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

307 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 12, 2014
Last Updated on July 12, 2014
Tags: #dickens, #deathwish, #embarrasingstory

Author

Train
Train

Writing
Tryptic Tryptic

A Poem by Train


Hell and Night Hell and Night

A Story by Train


Inferi Inferi

A Story by Train